With easy prep and delicious flavor this Chocolate Banana Bread is full of banana and chocolate flavor and studded with chocolate chips.
Banana is one of my absolute favorite dessert recipes of all time. But you guy’s know that. I think I mention that in every single banana post I write.
This Chocolate Banana Bread is being added to that list of my loves of banana and chocolate together, it just makes sense.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- With readily available pantry ingredients, this recipe is easy to whip up with staples you most likely have on hand.
- The combination of banana and chocolate complement each other well, just the right amount of both flavors.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to make more than one loaf if you want to make one for yourself, for gifts or for get togethers.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD, STEP BY STEP:
- In bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and cinnamon until combined.
- In large bowl beat together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until fluffy and combined.
- Add in your eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth and combined.
- Then add in your sour cream and mashed bananas and beat until everything is blended nicely.
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients.
- Fold together until just combined.
- Add your chocolate chips, reserving some for the topping.
- Fold in chocolate chips until it is combined and chocolate is distributed evenly.
- Spread into prepared baking pan (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) and sprinkle with more chocolate chips and bake at 350 for about 1 hour 10 minutes.
This chocolate banana bread is one of the easiest breads you will ever make. My kids love banana bread, but they love chocolate even more, so this has been perfect for them.
We often make double batches because it doesn’t stay around too often or too long in our house, it’s that good!
HOW DO YOU KEEP CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD MOIST?
One of my tricks is always wrapping your banana bread in plastic wrap. Whether it be to store it on the counter, or in the refrigerator, the plastic wrap will keep the moistness locked in.
You can store this at room temperature for 2-3 days and in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
WHAT BANANAS ARE BEST FOR CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD?
The more ripe your banana is the sweeter taste it will give off. You don’t want them super black, but if they have a lot of spotting on them and are a little soggy to the touch, then those are the perfect bananas for chocolate banana bread in my opinion.
You can use fresh banana if you like, it just won’t give the most potent banana flavor, I would suggest if you do this add a little banana extract to add a little more banana flavoring.
CAN YOU FREEZE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD?
This is one of my favorite parts about quick breads is that they are easily able to be frozen. Bake bread according to directions and then let cool completely on a wire rack.
Once cool, wrap in plastic wrap then in tin foil, then for an extra measure we like to stick into an airtight freezer bag and add a date on it.
It should stay fresh for about 2-3 months. To defrost, just set out at room temperature until completely defrosted.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD:
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder, do not use dutch process.
- Use the ripe bananas, if you aren’t going to use ripe bananas or don’t have any on hand, I would recommend adding some banana extract to give it a little more banana flavoring.
- We use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but milk chocolate and dark chocolate work as well, along with chocolate chunks.
- Slice some bananas and place on top with chocolate chips for a little pretty contrast.
- Oven times vary, ours took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to cook, but start checking for doneness around the 50-55 minute mark.
- We like to use non-stick spray that has the flour in it to help with the bread coming out of the pan.
If you want a banana chocolate explosion then you have to whip up a batch or two of this Chocolate Banana Bread, you won’t be disappointed!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
If you’ve tried this CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and what shenanigans I’m getting into!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter soft
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In large bowl beat your butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Beat in bananas and sour cream, blending well.
- Fold your dry ingredients into your wet until just combined,
- Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips until mixed.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over top.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, let cool in pan for about 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.Nutrition Disclaimer