Easy, flavorful and absolutely delicious this Easy Banana Cake is topped with a fluffy chocolate frosting making it the perfect flavor combination.
Banana desserts are life to me around here. I am obsessed with all things banana, I think if I have one specific flavor of dessert I have most of on here, it would be banana.
We bake with is so often, you can see in this Banana Mug Cake, Southern Banana Pudding or this Banana Cream Cake!
This Easy Banana Cake is actually adapted from my Peanut Butter Banana Cake recipe that everyone loved, I wanted to simplify it and make it able to fit in a 9″x13″ pan, and thats what I did.
Now I’m a person who loves straying away from the traditional, and put some chocolate frosting with this recipe, you absolutely can stick, I personally love banana and chocolate together.
If you are not a fan of banana and chocolate together here are some other great frosting recipes you can use to top this Easy Banana Cake, Cream Cheese Frosting, Caramel Frosting or this Nutella Frosting.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- With normal pantry ingredients, this recipe is easy to whip up.
- Baked in a 9″x13″ pan this is the perfect easy recipe to whip up when the banana craving calls.
- With multiple options for frostings, you can flavor it up for any kind of sweetness you desire.
This is a nice thick and moist cake. It can also be used as a layer cake or a sheet pan if you desire as well, you should have enough batter to fill 2 9″ cake pans or a 12″x17″ sheet pan.
WHAT TYPE OF BANANA IS BEST FOR BANANA CAKE?
A lot of people get confused when it comes to what kind of banana to cook with. When we talk about what type of banana to use, we are talking about the ripeness of the banana.
While you can cook with a yellow banana, the more black on the peel the better, even if it is just spotted a lot it is still good.
The riper the banana the more sweetness it will emit in your recipes, that is what you aim for when it comes with baking with bananas.
HOW TO MAKE EASY BANANA CAKE, STEP BY STEP:
Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9″x13″ with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In bowl whisk together your flour, baking soda and salt, set aside. In another bowl add your butter, oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar beat until fluffy (Photos 1-4).
Add in your eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition, once eggs are beaten in add your mashed banana and vanilla and beat until blended (Photos 5-8).
Alternate adding in your flour and buttermilk in three separate additions until everything is combined, pour into your prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely before frosting.
This cake has your normal pantry ingredients which we adore! There isn’t anything weird in this Easy Banana Cake recipe, which makes it the perfect cake all around.
HOW DO YOU STORE BANANA CAKE?
While a regular banana cake like this recipe will be fine stored at room temperature for 4-5 days, if you were to have cream cheese frosting it would need to be refrigerated.
You can store it in the refrigerator for the same amount of time with it still being good. Although, there may not be anything left of the cake by that time.
This Easy Banana Cake is a perfect recipe to use up those old ripened bananas, to bring to potlucks, serve at parties or just to have because you are in the mood.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THIS EASY BANANA CAKE:
- Use ripe almost black bananas, this helps with the sweetness and the banana flavor.
- Switch up your frosting, we use chocolate because that is what we love, but you can use any of your favorite flavors that you think will go well with banana.
- Make this into a layer or sheet pan cake, there is enough batter to use for both.
- Make sure you use buttermilk, the acidity helps keep the cake moist.
If you want the perfect fluffy, moist and delicious Banana Cake recipe then you need to whip this up! It is a family favorite around here and kids absolutely adore it.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
If you’ve tried this EASY BANANA CAKE or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and what shenanigans I’m getting into!
Easy Banana Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups bananas mashed about 4 medium
- 1/2 cup butter room temp
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 Tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 32Spray a 9"x13" with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In bowl whisk together your flour, baking soda and salt, set aside. In another bowl add your butter, oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar beat until fluffy.
- Add in your eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition, once eggs are beaten in add your mashed banana and vanilla and beat until blended.
- Alternate adding in your flour and buttermilk in three separate additions until everything is combined, pour into your prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, in stand mixer or bowl with hand mixer beat your butter until smooth.
- Add in your powdered sugar and beat until combined, then add in your cocoa powder and beat until incorporated.
- Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Frost over cooled cake.
Delicious cake, my favorite one indeed.
When do you put the oil in??
With the butter and sugars, updating the recipe now to reflect that!
I love Bananas and am always looking for yummy recipes, thank you!
You have a 1/4 cup vegetable oil in the ingredients, but I don’t see it in the instructions? Did I miss something?
My bad, you add it with the butter and sugars, will update in the recipe! Thank you for pointing that out!