Moist, delicious and citrusy this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is a great quick throw together sweet bread recipe to have on hand for when your sweet tooth kicks in!
We love lemon around here. It is one of my favorite baking flavors. This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is no exception to that rule. It has subtle hints of lemon without overpowering the palate. Filled with juice and zest, this bread is one that you won’t want to pass up.
Now I love to glaze my breads, just something that I have always done and that I really think makes the world of difference, This sweet lemon glaze makes this bread. It has a nice sweet lemon flavor that really complements the bread itself and picks up the lemon and enhances it overall.
Banana bread what?!?! Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good banana bread recipe but when it comes to sweet breads I think that this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe will reign supreme in flavor town.
It gives a nice contrast to what people are used to when they are served a nice sweet slice of bread. You can mix it up and change out the flavors, give more of a lemon flavor of just give subtle hints if that is what you like.
Want less lemon flavoring? Just replace the lemon juice in the glaze with milk and you’ll get the hints of it throughout the bread instead of both bread and glaze! But I mean who doesn’t love that nice burst of citrusy flavor? I know that my family does FOR SURE!
This is the best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe around! But that’s just because it is and always has been our go-to recipe and we can’t quit. When I know that spring is around the corner, I bust out those lemons and I bake bake bake and this is one of the recipes that we can’t stop with!
So how do you make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread? Read on below how you can make this delicious, easy recipe for yourself and guests!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbs lemon juice for less lemon flavor sub with milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In stand mixer beat together your butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in your lemon zest and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add in your eggs one at a time making sure to blend after each addition.
- Mix in your sour cream, milk and lemon juice until blended.
- In another bowl whisk together your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add into your wet ingredients until just combined.
- Lastly mix in your poppy seeds.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 60-70 minutes or until center is set and top is just golden, remove from oven to cool.
- Meanwhile to make glaze, mix together ingredients and pour over cooled bread.
- Slice and serve.