If you love easy, chewy and fast you need to whip up The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies around. Super flavorful, melt in your mouth delicious.
When it comes to cookies, it’s kind of a big thing around here! They are the one dessert that my family gobbles up faster than anything else!
I used to hate cookies, mostly because growing up my mom preferred the crunchier cookies, and I wasn’t all about that, so when I started making my own, the tables turned.
Some of my favorite cookies include my Easy No Bake Cookies, Chewy Sprinkles Cookies and my Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms!
So when it comes the The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, these are it. I first posted these cookies on The Salty Marshmallow, and now I’m able to share them with you today!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- Quick and easy, they whip up and bake in a breeze!
- The addition of cream of tartar in these chocolate chip cookies makes them softer and chewier than you would if it was stand alone baking powder/soda.
- Adding a touch of salt to the tops of the cookies adds a sweet and salty complement that really gives these the best flavor possible.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, STEP BY STEP:
- In a bowl whisk together your flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add your butter, sugar and brown sugar and mix until combined and fluffy.
- Next add in your eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition, once mixed in add in your vanilla and beat until combined.
- Slowly add in your flour a little bit at a time until everything is just combined, then add your chocolate chips and fold into the dough.
- Using a large cookie scoop, or a ice cream scoop, place your cookies on an uncreased baking sheet at least 2″ apart, then sprinkle with a little bit of flaked salt.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until edges start to turn slightly brown, remove and press in some more chocolate chips to the tops of cookies.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
DOES CREAM OF TARTAR KEEP COOKIES SOFT?
The addition of cream of tartar in this recipe helps the cookies rise slightly while baking and ultimately it effects the overall texture.
We like to use cream of tartar in these Chocolate Chip Cookies because the texture comes out soft and moist, with just the slight crispness around the edges.
HOW DO YOU MAKE COOKIES STAY SOFT?
Sealing and storing properly is the key to keeping cookies, especially The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies soft.
While I really do not recommend using cookie jars which allow air to get into the jar and make the cookies get hard. I would store in an airtight container such as a ziploc bag.
If you aren’t able to use an airtight container, the next best thing is to place a slice of bread in with your cookies, the bread releases moisture which will ultimately transfer to the cookies and keep them soft.
HOW TO STORE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
The one thing that I love about Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes is that they can be stored many ways, and I’m going to tell you how to store each way.
- ROOM TEMP: To store these cookies at room temperature, like stated above, once cookies are cooled store in an airtight container like a ziploc bag, they should keep for 2-3 weeks.
- REFRIGERATOR: The same as above, I don’t really recommend refrigerating them, as they will just last the same time as if you were to store at room temperature.
- FREEZE DOUGH: To do this, make dough per recipe, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and using a cookie scoop drop your dough next to one another and place in freezer until solid, then remove and place in ziploc bags, the dough will keep around 9-12 months.
- FREEZE BAKED COOKIES: To freeze already baked cookies, let them fully cool then place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen, remove to ziploc baggies and place in freezer, they should keep 3-4 months.
These really are The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, they puff up in the oven and deflate and become chewy upon cooling.
So do not let it fool you while they are baking, the cookies will always deflate some once they are pulled from that heat, if they stayed puffed up like that it would mean they were more cavelike.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
- We love using flaked sea salt on the tops of these, but any sea salt will work.
- You can use any type of chocolate chips, dark, milk or semi-sweet, or even chocolate chunks.
- To get chocolate chip cookies really pretty, once removed from the oven press chocolate chips in the tops of the warm cookies.
- Do not over bake, the cookies out when edges are just slightly golden.
- The addition of the cream of tartar really helps with the texture of these cookies, make sure to use that.
If you want a cookie recipe these Chocolate Chip Cookies are the only one you need, everyone will fall in love and they will be your go to recipe forever.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
If you’ve tried THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and what shenanigans I’m getting into!
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 12 oz bag chocolate chips plus extra for topping
- Flaked salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In bowl, whisk together your flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt, set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer add your butter and both sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in your eggs on at a time until blended.
- Add in your vanilla until mixed in.
- Slowly add in your dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in your chocolate chips until incorporated.
- Using a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto ungreased baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of flaked salt and bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and press extra chocolate chips on top and let cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
The closest chocolate chip recipe I have found that have the texture of subway cookies. I tweek the recipe just slightly by adding 2 table spoons of malted milk powder with the dry ingredients and bam I was there. Just like subway cookies and I have tried a lot of chocolate chip cookies recipes online to find the darn near exact as subway cookies the cream of tartar does improve the biscuit texture steers away from the cake like crumble texture. So in saying all this love your recipe welldone🙂👍♥️
Have made these several times and they are always a hit!
How many cookies does this recipe make? It’s only me eating them so I wouldn’t need such a large amount of ingredients. Should I cut everything I half to make less cookies and if so is there any ingredient on your list that shouldn’t be cut in half to make less cookies?
These make about 24. Cutting the egg in half is hard but 2 tablespoons of whisked together eggs is 1 1/2 eggs so it’s easier to measure when cutting the eggs in half. Otherwise you can cut this recipe in half no problem.
This is honestly the best cookie recipe ever! No joke! Big, chewy, soft and delicious!!! Thank you for sharing this awesome goodness with everyone! It’s been my favorite recipe since I found it. I make them all the time and everyone loves them… and wants more!!!
This is the best recipie for chocolate chip cookies ever!! My family won’t eat anything else!! Thank you!
The best I have ever had.
Awesome cookies! Very moist and chewy. The cream of tarter really does the trick. I also added a tsp of cinnamon for good measure😁
What size bag of choc chips?
Softened or melted butter?
In reply to both your comments since my recipe card doesn’t want to show it. Softened butter and a normal 12 oz bag chocolate chips 🙂 sorry about that!
Thank you!!! Bakin now!