Easy, filling and delicious these Stuffed Green Peppers are a simple supper recipe that uses minimal ingredients and gets on the dinner table fast!
One of my favorite parts of summer is when our green peppers start to get growing. Now I’m going to share a super super secret with you ok? I DO NOT have a green thumb, like at all. I’m lucky that I have kept my cactus alive for as long as I have.
So when I say “our” green peppers it pretty much means, anyone who’s peppers have grown and are willing to give them to me! This is the first year we haven’t had a garden and honestly it’s been nice, but I do miss it because I loved being able to go out and just pick fresh from there.
But alas, we don’t have time to tend to the garden any longer, so we love to hit up our local farmers market and buy from there because we love buying local when we can!
DO YOU COOK BELL PEPPERS BEFORE BAKING THEM?
For this recipe we actually parboil our peppers to get them a little tender. Parboiling means that we boil for a short amount of time, in this case about 5 minutes just to get them slightly tender since the filling is already cooked when stuffed, they do not need to cook extra long to get tender on the outside.
DO YOU COVER STUFFED PEPPERS WHEN BAKING?
Some recipes have you cover with tinfoil, in this Stuffed Green Peppers recipe we do not cover. We stuff them with the mixture and drizzle with a little tomato sauce and let bake that way. I don’t know if there is any real benefit to actually covering the peppers because we do want the cheese to kind of get a nice crisp on the outside.
HOW DO YOU MAKE STUFFED BELL PEPPERS?
This is a SUPER simple recipe and they are don’t in under 30 minutes which makes them the perfect quick and easy dinner recipe when you are in a time crunch.
To begin we cut the tops off the bell peppers (in this case we use green) and remove the seeds and membranes. We then parboil then for about 5 minutes to get the peppers a little tender. In a large pan we then brown some ground beef until no longer pink.
We stir in cooked rice, tomato sauce, minced onion, salt, pepper and cheese and stir until combined and cheese is melted. You then stuff this mixture into your peppers, cover with more tomato sauce and place in oven to bake for about 15 minutes.
You then add some shredded cheese on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
This Stuffed Green Pepper Recipe is one of my families absolute favorite meals. Not only because of the flavor but just because it is really filling, pretty healthy and easily adaptable, oh and not to mention super quick! It’s been one of those recipes that I’ve kept in our rotation for many many years!
So if you’re looking for that perfect filling recipe that will satisfy everyone then this Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe is just what you need!
If you liked this recipe you might also like:
Stuffed Green Peppers
- 3 medium/large green peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice tops off of your peppers and remove seeds and membranes.
- In large pot, fill with water, add your peppers and bring to a boil and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove with thongs and set aside.
- In large saute pan brown your ground beef until no longer pink, drain.
- Stir in cooked rice, 1/2 can tomato sauce, 1 cup cheese, minced onion, salt and pepper until combined and cheese is melted.
- Add peppers to a baking dish and stuff evenly with mixture.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over tops of peppers and bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and return to oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
PIN IT FOR LATER