Creamy, cheesy and delicious this Homemade Baked Mac & Cheese is a delicious weeknight dinner recipe that feeds a crowd and is completely addicting.
When it comes to Mac and cheese recipes we go big or go home. We adore macaroni and cheese around this house. I think if my daughter had her choice she would eat it all day every day.
Now I’m one who loves to add some hot dogs in their Mac and cheese, but this Homemade Baked Mac & Cheese doesn’t need any additions it’s just that good.
I hate how when you make Mac and cheese that it seems like the liquid all evaporates and you’re left with nothing but sticky and dry noodles with a cheese flavor.
When I was testing recipes for Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese I knew that I wanted mine super creamy and super cheesy and this recipe seriously fit the bill!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED?
- Elbow macaroni
We used three different cheeses in our recipe and those included Colby, cheddar and mozzarella. I mean how can you have Mac and cheese and just use one cheese?!? Amiright?
With this recipe I am going to tell you that it will look like a LOT of liquid, trust me that is the way that you want it! The noodles will soak up all that goodness and you will be left with a perfectly baked meal that is creamy and cheesy.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BAKED MAC AND CHEESE?
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- In large pot melt butter and then stir in your flour, pepper, cayenne and paprika.
- Slowly add in your milk until slightly thickened.
- Add in your cheeses one at a time, making sure each is melted before the next addition.
- Stir in your noodles then add some salt and pepper to taste (this is a personal preference as to how much you want to add).
- Pour into a 9″x13″ baking dish and then sprinkle with more cheese.
- Bake in oven 30-40 minutes until thickened and cheese is melted.
This recipe is super easy and is the perfect weeknight meal. My kids absolutely adored it! They couldn’t stop asking for more. And if you really want to get fancy, go ahead and add those chopped up hot dogs, you now you want to.
I’m just kidding…or am I? So being from Minnesota we really love SPAM, I know I know there are so many opinions about SPAM but I’m going to tell you straight up that we love it!
We love it so much we make SPAM sandwiches, Mac and cheese and even put it in our fried rice. So if you’re feeling really adventurous add it into this Baked Mac & Cheese would be EPIC!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Homemade Baked Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz Colby cheese shredded from block
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded from block and divided
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded from block and divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, set aside.
- In large pot, melt your butter and then whisk in your flour, pepper, cayenne and paprika.
- Slowly whisk in your milk until slightly thickened.
- Add in your cheeses one at a time starting with 8 oz shredded Colby, then 4 oz shredded cheddar and lastly 4 oz shredded mozzarella and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add in your noodles and stir to coat.
- It will be really liquidy, it is supposed to be that way so don't worry about it!
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste for your liking.
- Pour into a 9"x13" baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes until thickened and cheese is melted.
PIN IT FOR LATER!