Creamy, sweet with a little bit of salty these Brown Sugar & Bacon Mashed Sweet Potatoes are an addicting and flavorful side dish you cant resist making.
I absolutely used to hate sweet potatoes. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I truly started loving – yes LOVING sweet potatoes.
They have their unique flavor that is for sure, and I still cant really get my kids or my husband to enjoy them much, so when it comes time for me to buy a bag of them, I am not even in the slightest bit upset that I have to consume them all to myself.
These Brown Sugar & Bacon Mashed Sweet Potatoes are seriously some of the best potatoes out there! I love the sweet and salty aspect behind each and every bite. I mean brown sugar and bacon…how can you not fall in love.
Now these may remind you a little bit of sweet potato casserole, but minus the marshmallows and optional pecan topping. These potatoes are a hit when I do bring them to gatherings for those sweet potato lovers like myself.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED?
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar
Is your mouth drooling from that list of ingredients yet? Because mine is. Sweet potatoes seriously are great as a savory side dish but when you add a little bit of sweetness to them it really pushes them over the top.
We use a whole 2 pounds of potatoes for this sweet potato recipe. This is one of those recipes that is easily doubled if you so choose to do so.
We also use a full pound of bacon, you can add as little or as much as you’d like, but in my opinion everything is better with bacon, amiright?
HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE MASHED SWEET POTATOES?
- Cook and crumble your bacon and set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Meanwhile peel and slice your sweet potatoes into medium sized chunks.
- In a large bot bring potatoes and water to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and add potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Cut your butter into chunks and add to bowl and let melt slightly then add milk, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- With hand mixer beat your potatoes until smooth and creamy. Sweet potatoes done always seem to get super creamy so it is okay to have some chunks, but remove any bigger chunks.
- Once creamy stir in your cooked bacon until blended.
- Add to serving dish and sprinkle with a little more brown sugar and a pat of butter if desired.
This is the perfect side dish (or main dish if you’re like me and consuming it all by yourself the majority of the time) for your next holiday dinner such as Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. Sweet potatoes are perfect any time of the year!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Brown Sugar & Bacon Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter cut into quarters and divided
- 2-3 Tbs milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cook and crumble bacon and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- In large pot add sweet potatoes and enough water to cover potatoes to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add 3/4 of your butter to potatoes and let it melt slightly then add in milk, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- With hand mixer blend your potatoes until smooth and creamy (there will be some chunks and thats ok, remove any huge chunks).
- Stir in your cooked bacon until combined.
- Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with additional brown sugar and remaining butter if desired.
PIN IT FOR LATER!