Want to make your favorite childhood snack at home? These Homemade Strawberry Pop-Tarts are super easy, filled with strawberry jam and glazed to perfection.
I hope everyone had a long and enjoyable Easter weekend! Obviously, the weekends can never be long enough but ours was good!
We went to the Twin Cities to our nieces dual birthday party and then stayed over and had Easter the next day.
Busy busy like always, so this coming weekend I’m looking forward to nothing more than to sitting my butt on the couch and doing absolutely nothing. Except baking and cooking of course.
I was feeling kind of nostalgic the other day and I decided I wanted to throwback to my glory days and make some iconic Pop-Tarts!! Strawberry Pop-Tarts to be exact.
Who didn’t grow up with Pop-Tarts! I guess I’m not exactly sure how long they have been around, but for my 28 (almost 29) years in existence they have been one of my favorite go to breakfast, or any time snack to be real with you.
Did you know that these babies are super simple to whip up? Seriously like less than an hour total of cook, chill and assemble time! For real, this is way less time-consuming than jumping in my car and going out to get myself a box….possibly.
Besides there is something about creating something that you are so used to eating from a box, homemade that just gives you some sort of proudness to you.
So this weekend, tell me you are going to do this. Your kids will LOVE you, besides these are gigantic! You’ll only need one compared to the 2 that come in the package, and then there isn’t the debate about hmmm, should I have two or will one be okay.
Then you decide to have one and the little baggie is left open and you go back later and the one you should have eaten is now stale. Yeah, I could go on and on. Just make these and be happy 🙂
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour more for sprinkling
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 cup cold salted butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 jar Strawberry Preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbs milk
- In food processor add your flour and sugar and pulse to combine.
- Add your butter and pulse again until it comes together.
- Add your vanilla and turn to on and slowly add your water.
- Do not over-mix.
- Ball up your dough and cover with saran wrap and chill for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Once chilled, sprinkle flour over a clean work surface and roll out your dough into a large 1/4" thick rectangle.
- Now if you have a stencil awesome, otherwise grab a pop-tart or something else rectangle and about the size of your desired pop-tarts and tart tracing with knife around them to create 12 equal rectangles.
- Once traced, cut them with knife and remove excess dough.
- If you cant make 12 make as many as you can once cut out roll out leftover dough to make more.
- We were able to make 2 more from leftover dough to get us a full 6.
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Spray a baking sheeet with non stick cooking spray and cover with parchment paper.
- add 6 of your rectangles.
- Next add about 2 Tbs of strawberry preseresv to the center of each pop-tart and spread around.
- Add your remaining 6 rectangles to tops of each and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Make about 6 rows of vent holes on each top of your pop-tarts so filling does not escape through the sides.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Once cool make your icing by mixing your powered sugar and milk together 1 Tbs at a time to get desired consistency.
- Spread onto cooled pop-tarts and immediately sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!