Full of delicious flavor and simmered low and slow this Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is easy, tasty and filling. A recipe that works for multiple different dishes!
Spaghetti is one of my all time favorite meals. Since I was a kid, it’s just been one of those go-to comforting things that I could not resist.
Unfortunately, growing up we used the bottled stuff and just threw in some ground beef or frozen meatballs, now I’m not against that at all, but I cant resist Homemade Spaghetti Sauce.
Plus when it’s super easy to make, it makes the recipe even better! Nothing beats cooking something low and slow and making your house smell amazing,.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- With two different meats (Italian Sausage and Ground Beef) you have two different flavors come through in each and every bite.
- Letting this sauce simmer low and slow really lets the flavors marry together and when it’s done you have a big pot of heaven.
- This makes a large batch that is easy to freeze and reheat so you always have some on hand when your spaghetti craving calls.
While this recipe is considered “homemade” some might disagree since I’m using canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. You can call it “semi-homemade” if you like, but for us this is considered homemade.
We like to keep things easy around this joint so using those canned ingredients in this recipe really helps us save some time and effort but still results in a delicious Spaghetti Sauce recipe!
Now like I said above, this recipe make a large batch, if you are cooking for one or two then you can absolutely cut this Homemade Spaghetti Sauce in half.
I would recommend making a full batch, so you do have some leftover that you can take out of the freezer at any given time when that craving hits.
HOW TO FREEZE HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE:
This is the simplest method ever, just take any remaining spaghetti sauce that you do not use and place in a ziploc bag and toss in the freezer.
This will keep for up to a year, but the best quality is to use it within 4-6 months. You can also refrigerate it for about 5-10 days.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE, STEP BY STEP:
In a large pot or dutch oven add your ground beef and Italian sausage and brown until no longer pink (you can drain if you like, we do not drain ours) (Photos 1 & 2).
Next add in your chopped onion and saute until it is tender and translucent (Photos 3 & 4).
Lastly add in your garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, spices, sugars, and balsamic vinegar. Give it a good stir and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer about 3 hours (Photos 5 & 6).
This recipe comes out perfect every time. We absolutely adore it and cannot get enough of it! Now some people don’t like grease in their sauce, thats fine drain it off.
We do not drain our grease off, it gives added flavor that we really enjoy, but this is absolutely personal preference on what you would like to do.
There are so many different ways that you can use this Homemade Spaghetti Sauce recipe that isn’t just spaghetti!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE:
- Use at least 80/20 ground beef, this does reduce the grease that comes off of the sauce if you do not plan on draining it.
- You can swap out the balsamic vinegar for red wine if you would like, both have nice rich flavors that give a lot to this sauce, it is an equal swap.
- This recipe freezes really well, just put remainder in ziploc baggie and place in freezer. Use within a year, but prime time is within 4-6 months.
- This can be refrigerated for about 5-10 days.
If you are looking for that perfect tomato based pasta sauce this Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is absolutely worth it! Rich, flavorful and meaty, something you cannot go wrong with.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
If you’ve tried this EASY HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and what shenanigans I’m getting into!
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
- 1 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbs dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- n large dutch oven or stock pot, brown your ground beef and Italian sausage together until no longer pink.
- Add in your onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir until blended and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 3-4 hours to let flavors marry and sauce to thicken.
- Freeze leftovers.