Delicious slow cooked chicken make this cheesesteak a step above the original!
I know everyone, me included, is thinking about treats, sweets, decadent desserts, and all things sugar! Trust me, I can count the days on one hand that I have not been in the kitchen this month baking up something sweet 🙂 And it’s only 2 weeks in!
Sometimes it’s easy to forget that we still have to eat real food for dinner. As much as my kids would love me if I just let them eat treats for 3 meals a day, I feel much better when I prepare a delicious dinner for us all to enjoy.
I love these chicken cheesesteak sandwiches because I can throw them in the slow cooker at lunch and then when it’s dinnertime you just shred the chicken inside the crock pot, toast some buns, and then assemble the cheesesteak sandwiches. So easy and delicious!
To toast the hoagie or buns: butter both sides of the bread and lay (butter side up) on a cookie sheet. Broil on low for just a few minutes. Keep a close eye on this because they will burn fast…. trust me on this one, I’ve ruined plenty of stuff this way 🙂
Fill each bun/hoagie with some chicken cheesesteak mixture and then hurry and put a slice of cheese over top so it has time to melt. We love to use the slices of white Velveeta cheese because they melt fabulously, but I know some people don’t like Velveeta, so feel free to use any cheese you want. You can’t go wrong cheese, right?! My favorite cheese is Muenster cheese and as I am sitting here typing this I am asking myself “why on earth I have never tried it on these yet!?”
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce like A-1, Heinz 57
- hoagie buns sliced cheese
- pray inside of the crock pot with cooking spray. Lay onion and bell pepper slices on bottom of crock pot. Pour chicken broth over the veggies. Lay chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour steak sauce over top.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5-7 hours (or until chicken is cooked through and tender)
- Shred chicken and stir to combine everything together inside the crock pot. There will be some liquid but that's fine because it will keep the chicken moist. Use a slotted spoon to put chicken mixture on hoagie bun.
- Assemble your cheesesteak sandwiches. Enjoy!
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.Nutrition Disclaimer