A delicious crisp hot dog topped with a sloppy joe mixture and drizzled in a garlic cheese sauce these Cheesy Sloppy Joe Hot Dogs are a delicious tasty treat!
Thank you all for following along with my guest posts this week as we have been on vacation. Today wraps up my final post before we come home Sunday. I want you guys to say hello to Meaghan the shinning light being the amazing blog 4 Sons ‘R’ Us. So without further ado, take it away Meaghan!
Have you ever noticed how having kids, or caring for kids, or really just being exposed to kids on a regular basis forces you to revisit, and often rediscover, classic dishes from your own childhood? Especially when my guys were little, or going through their individual ‘picky palate’ stages, I’d have to get creative, and often the simplest answer was to call Mom and asked what the hell she had made that we would actually eat during those same trying times.
And wouldn’t you know, almost every time the same things worked for me and my boys, like hot dogs and sloppy joes. But over the years we’ve all grown up (how much is often debatable 😉 ), and while we haven’t exactly outgrown these favorites, we’ve found them growing right along with us. Think of it as revisiting, and revitalizing the classics. And that’s how Cheesy Sloppy Dog was born. And. It. Was. Glorious. And, of course, cheesy and messy enough in all its glory to be whole-heartedly embraced by both our emerging adult-selves and our inner child.
Cheesy Sloppy Joe Hot Dogs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ocan of tomato sauce
- 1 medium red onion finely diced
- 1 garlic bulb Cloves minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (1 3/8 ouncpackage dry onion soup mix
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hot dogs cooked at your own preference
- 8 hot dog buns
Garlic Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cream
- 4 oz of cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- In a large skillet on medium heat, brown the beef.
- Strain the cooked beef to remove fat and then return the meat to the skillet.
- Add the tomato sauce, onions, garlic and stir them in to evenly incorporate.
- Next, stir in the broth, Worcestershire, bay leaves and all the other seasonings until completely combined.
- Bring the sloppy joe mixture to a low boil, reduce to a simmer over low heat and let the meat sauce cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- In another skillet or medium sauce pan, stir together the cream, cream cheese, and the seasonings seasonings over low to medium heat until completely smooth and combined and the cream cheese has completely melted.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, stirring until it too is completely melted and combined.
- Remove the sauce from heat and set it aside.
- To assemble, place cooked hot dogs inside warm hot dog buns.
- Put the meat mixture on top of the hot dogs.
- Pour on the creamy cheese sauce and serve!