A warm and hearty this Ham and Bean Soup is filled with ham, beans and veggies. The perfect way to warm up on a cool day.
Merry Christmas Eve my lovely people! Do you all have amazing things panned for the holidays? Are you Christmas Eve celebrators like my family? Or are you more prone to Christmas Day? I always grew up opening presents and what not on Christmas Eve with my family. My husband’s family are Christmas Day people. Whatever you may be I want to extend my wishing of a safe and happy holiday season.
Ham has always been a Christmas tradition that I absolutely love. I am a huge huge huge lover of ham. I found an amazing deal at our local Aldi the other day on ham. It was $3.00 off any butt portion plus another $3.00 off for a $25 purchase that included a ham. Score! I love coupons…especially ones that they give me for free while in line at the checkout because usually I don’t ever bring them with me. I admire all the people out there that use coupons religiously! I don’t have the time or patience to clip them and bring them with me, usually I go grocery shopping on a whim and not strategically planned out. WHICH might be a good idea because then I probably wouldn’t buy half the store while I’m in there.
Anyways, off topic. One amazing thing about ham is the ham bone and the great flavor that comes from it. We love making this Ham and Bean Soup with the bone and leftover ham piece. This would qualify for an amazing day after Christmas treat. Besides it’s soup, who doesn’t love soup? Now that it is officially winter (a very warm one at that) I plan on making soup galore! Something about the warm, cozy and homey feeling when you snuggle up with a bowl of soup just sucks me in.
This soup is so easy to whip up. You pretty much you toss your ingredients in and let it simmer for a few hours while you sit back and enjoy the delicious smell. Now that isn’t so hard is it? The next time you have leftover ham give this recipe a try, it’s a classic and it’s delicious and sure to please anyone.
Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 lb dry navy beans
- 6-7 cups water
- 1 ham bone more meat the better
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse your beans and pick through and discard any stones or pebbles.
- Cover and let beans soak over night.
- In a large stock pot add your water, ham bone and beans. (Make sure water covers the bone)
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Add remaining ingredients and boil for a few minutes.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Once beans are tender and soup has thickened, remove ham bone and bay leaf.
- Remove all meat and fat from bone discarding the fat.
- Chop up the meat and add back into pot and stir.
- Cover and simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Check for salt taste, hams are usually salty on their own so add more or less depending on how salty the ham bone makes your soup.