Delicious bacon topped meatloaf grilled in a Bourbon BBQ Sauce and topped off with onion straws makes this Bourbon BBQBacon Meatloaf Sandwich a hearty meal!
Bourbon BBQ Bacon Meatloaf Sandwich, wow say that three times fast. I know the name is long, but I couldn’t leave anything out when describing this delicious piece of meat on a bun!
For real, this is a dinner for champions. Or a bunch of willing participants and hungry, hearty mouths to feed. That was the case the other night for my brood.
Talk about a meal that was literally scarfed down in minutes. I swear my husband could have inhaled this thing in 2 bites if he tried. Moist meatloaf, a tangy bourbon bbq sauce, cheese and onion straws make this sandwich something else I tell you.
Not to mention I love onion straws. I could eat those things by the handful all day long. If you are looking for that meal that will satisfy your man…or woman, this is wear to go my friends.
What makes this sandwich so amazing is grilling the slices of meatloaf in the sauce, an essential party I believe. Gives it a thick caramel coating that bakes right onto the meatloaf and searing in the flavor.
Add some melted cheese and you are set! No need for a side dish with this bad boy, at least one was not necessary for me. Filling is the only word that comes to mind!
Bourbon BBQ Bacon Meatloaf Sandwich
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs minced onion
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce your favorite
- 3 slices bacon
- Onion Rolls
- Sliced cheese
BOURBON BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup bbq sauce favorite kind
- 1/3 cup water
- 3-4 Tbs bourbon
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbs seasoning salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all your meatloaf ingredients together in bowl and place in baking pan and top lengthwise with and cook for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, slice your onions very thin* and add your buttermilk to a bowl.
- Place your onions in buttermilk and set aside.
- Once meatloaf is done remove from oven and let cool until able to be handled.
- In sauce pan add your BBQ sauce ingreidients, bring to boil, once boiling reduce heat to simmer and continute to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat your deepfryer to 375.
- In bowl add your flour, seasoning salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- In 2 batches take half of your onions and dip it in your flour mixture then place in deep fryer for a few minutes until golden, repeat and set aside on paper towel lined plate to cool.
- In skillet add about 1/2-1 cup bbq sauce and place meatloaf on top and heat on medium-high meat and grill your meatloaf slices in batches until bbq sauce starts to coat outside of meatloaf and thickens.
- Top with cheese slices until melted, place on buns, top with onion straws and serve!
Best sandwich ! Have this whenever we have had meatloaf for dinner…..I use regular onion rings …I put the sandwich together and place it in the air fryer , brown on both sides and cheese is nice and melty
Planning on making this monday. Can you make the meatloaf ahead (say the day before) then finish when ready to eat?
Yes, thats what we normally do and use leftover meatloaf for the sandwiches.
This was an amazing recipe. The instructions were a little different to follow but we managed to make it close to the picture!
Made this the other night. The directions weren’t clear as to what to do with the bacon. So we put it in the meatloaf. It added flavour, but I’m now certain that the bacon was to be put on like a topping. The onion straws were great, I couldn’t help but eat them as they came out of the fryer. Yum! Great recipe, would definitely do this again.
I could not find the mini onion buns… Where did you find them?!?
Hi Michelle, they actually aren’t mini buns, they are full sized and I usually get mine at Walmart (Village Hearth) or even Aldi (Love’n Fresh) sells them if you have one of them.
This looks really good. One question, for the meatloaf, do you crisp the bacon and crumble it into the meat? Or dice it and add it to the meat before baking?
Hi Bert! Thanks for the question, I went and looked at the recipe and the one word missing is bacon in the instructions lol. You’re supposed to top the bacon length wise with bacon, so just layer them the long way over the top.
Wow, that looks amazing! I might even like meatloaf, after all! 🙂 Pinning to try!
I’m a lover of meatloaf but know quite a few people who don’t like it! Hopefully this sandwich would change your tune!
Idk how you do it, but hats off to another amazingly mouth-watering creation! And you know I simply must to pin this 🙂 have a great day xo
Thank you so much for stopping by!!
Oh, yeah, I’ll have one please!!
I’ll have like 5, but 1 will probablly do a person in.
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood
Oh I can’t wait to make this!!! This looks so decadent!
This looks fabulous! I think my entire family will love this, Pinned 🙂 I would love for you to share at the Sunday Fitness & Food Party at http://www.marathonsandmotivation.com