Creamy, hearty and filling this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the perfect comfort soup for those cool winter nights!
So if you didn’t know, I love my slow cooker recipes. Like I slow cook any chance that I can get. Not only does it afford me time to spend with my family when they get home from school and help with homework or play with them, but it’s just a great mean to throw together and let cook on it’s on time, worry free.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP IN THE SLOW COOKER?
- Add all your ingredients besides butter, flour and half in half into a slow cooker and cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred, set aside.
- In pan on stove, melt you butter and whisk in flour and cook for about one minute and then stir in your half and half until thickened.
- Add half and half mixture and chicken back into slow cooker and stir until blended, you can either serve as is or put the cover back on and heat on high for about 15-20 minutes until thickened slightly more.
WHAT VEGETABLES AND SPICES ARE GOOD TO USE?
We use a basic vegetable and spice blend here and use the following in this recipe:
- Bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
Soup is a staple cold weather food at our house. And I love when you can make soup in the slow cooker and that’s what makes this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup one of my all time favorite cold weather comforts. It’s a fix it and forget it meal that is hassle free and takes the guesswork out of dinnertime.
Now this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is seriously super easy. I mean I try to make all my recipes relatively easy for you to make because I strive to make fast fix family favorite foods that we all can approach. Well this one is definitely it. There is no weird ingredients, just all natural fresh and tasty goodies.
There is no need to prepare your rice ahead of time like some other wild rice soups out there. The magic of the slow cooker is that it cooks right inside. You get tender veggies, fall apart chicken and just delicious wholesome flavor.
Now I do have to admit something. This whole recipe ISN’T made in the crockpot. I know, I know! Why call it a slow cooker recipe if it’s not ALL made in there. The only part that is not made in there is where you add the creaminess to the soup. But I promise you it is easy.
Just toss a saute pan on the stove and melt some butter, add some flour and half and half and just stir until thick. I mean there is no harm or difficulty to that. Then you pour it into the slow cooker and watch it thicken up right before your eyes.
Seriously you guys, this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the one recipe that you don’t want to miss making this winter. Have a kids sports event to go to, a concert, shopping, a meeting last-minute?
No worries, let this sit for about 4ish hours and when you get home your house will be smelling of deliciousness and comfort that will have you weak at your knees. Well it usually has that effect on me.
Not only do you have a dinner already made for you, but you have a house that keeps smelling better and better the longer you cook it. So save some time this season and whip up a batch of this easy Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup! It won’t disappoint.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water you could use all chicken broth as well
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 Tbs salt
- 1/2 Tbs pepper
- 4 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- 2 cup half and half
- In slow cooker add your chicken, rice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth, water, rosemary, parsley, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hour or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove your chicken from slow cooker and shred, setting aside.
- In saute pan on medium heat, melt your butter and then whisk in your flour mixing for about 1 minute until light brown.
- Slowly whisk in your half and half and continue to whisk until it starts to thicken up.
- Once thick add your chicken and your half and half mixture back into your slow cooker and stir until blended.
- Serve warm.
PIN IT FOR LATER!