When it comes to summer this Sausage Corn Chowder is our go-to recipe for a quick and easy creamy meal that feeds a crowd and is loved by everyone.
When you think of soups and chowder you think of winter right? Well think again! This Sausage Corn Chowder recipe is super easy and super fast and has all the flavors that I want in the warm weather months.
This recipe is full of potatoes, two types of corn, sausage and spices! I mean how much easier can those ingredients get? It tastes so fresh and light that it is perfect for a weeknight meal an is done in about 40 minutes!! What?!?! Yep you read that right!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED?
- Sweet Corn
- Cream Corn
- Evaporated milk
If you ask me for recipe for corn chowder, this ingredient list couldn’t get any more simple that that! Some of the best recipes require the least amount of ingredients!
HOW DO YOU MAKE A CHOWDER?
There are various chowder recipes out there from Clam Chowder, Vegetable Chowder or even Ham Chowder. The base of this usually starts with sautéed vegetables (if you are including them), a liquid such as milk, broth or water, meat and then a cream and thickener.
- For this recipe we started with onions and sausage and sautéed them.
- We then added water, potatoes and our spices. Bring that to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- We then add corn, cream corn and evaporated milk and simmer again. Finally we add our slurry which is made of cornstarch and water.
You can make this Corn Chowder recipe as thick or as thin as you’d like. The more slurry you add the thicker it will be. If you like a really soupy chowder then you can omit the slurry altogether, but in reality who likes a soupy chowder!
We love the freshness of this Corn Chowder recipe so much that it is on our menu almost every other week! We just cant get enough. This is one of my husbands favorite recipes of all time. Honestly it is good for any time of the year but we usually make it in the Spring and Summer months.
So if you’re looking for an amazing and comforting chowder recipe than this one is the one for you!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Sausage Corn Chowder
- 1 lb smoked sausage cut into thin slices
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large baking potatoes diced into 1" pieces
- 4 cups water
- 2-3 tsp dried basil*
- 2-3 tsp died parsley*
- 1 can sweet corn darined
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbs water
- 2 Tbs cornstartch
- In large stock pot brown your sausage and onions together until transulcent.
- Add your water, potatoes, basil and parsley and bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in sweet corn, cream corn, evaporated milk, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes longer.
- In small bowl wisk together your slurry mix and then add to chowder.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes until chowder thickens a bit.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Our family’s absolute favorite cold weather comfort staple!
What size can of evaporated milk?
It’s a 14 oz can.
I love that this is ready in less than an hour. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing at Turn It Up Tuesday.
The Better Baker
Yum oh yum. I know we both would love this wonderful dish. Thanks for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck.
Thank you so much 🙂
Joy @ Yummy Seconds
This chowder looks hearty and delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Jessica @ Together As Family
Love this! I think one of the most under used ingredients in a soup/chowder is canned creamed corn! I love that your recipe includes that. This recipe is a must-try for sure!
Thanks Jessica. It’s simple and delicious just what we love.
Yuuuuum! This sounds perfect for the cold weather. Pinning and trying soon for sure!