A delicious donut remenicient from the popular cake version these Pineapple Upside Down Donuts are a quick and easy breakfast recipe!
Do you love donuts? Or doughnuts? I spell it donuts, but I know there is a big debate on how people actually spell it. But regardless of that struggle, donuts/doughnuts are awesome! My husband a while back bought me a great donut pan and I’ve gone wild using since I’ve received it. Who said men can’t be thoughtful at times! You can see some of my concoctions here, here, here oh and did I mention here? Some of those were my first posts so they need to be rephotographed but still delicious! But these Pineapple Upside Down Donuts are by far one of my favorite.
I absolutely love Upside Down Pineapple Cake…you can see my post for my Upside Down pineapple Bundt Cake here! Ok enough with my sharing of donuts and pineapple upside down what nots. There is something about the flavor of pineapple, brown sugar and cherry that I absolutely love. I don’t know about you but pineapple is one of my most loved fruits and it is so versatile in baking AND cooking that I always have to keep a can on hand just in case I come across something that looks divine or inspiration strikes. Which inspiration struck when I was thinking of these bad boys!
These come together and bake up so quick that it would be rude of me not to share it with you! Now since you add your pineapple and brown sugar to the bottom of your donut wells don’t be alarmed if these little guys float above your pan, it is completely normal and by the time they are risen that tall they will have baked enough that the thought of the spilling is out of the question! There is my PSA for you all today! Now how about I just give you the recipe already?
Pineapple Upside Down Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbs milk we used vanilla soy milk
- 1 Tbs butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbs crushed pineapple
- 6 Tbs melted butter
- 6 Tbs brown sugar
- 6 marachino cherries
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- In bowl, add all dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add egg, sour cream, milk, vanilla, butter and stir everything until just combined.
- Spray your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In bottom of each donut well place 1 Tbs butter, 1 Tbs brown sugar and 1 Tbs pineapple in that order.
- In a plastic bag or piping bag add your dough.
- Cut a hole in tip and start piping into wells.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and donuts spring back.
- Once cooked quickly turn out onto cooling rack and let cool.
- Place 1 cherry in center of each donut.
- Serve and enjoy!