A fruity, coconuty, flavorful treat this Pina Colada Bread Pudding is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert!
So I love taking spins on classic treats, that is no surprise right? I mean just take a loo at my Banana Split Waffles my Peanut Butter and Jelly Rolls or my Supreme Pizza Sliders. I just love taking already loved classic dishes and turning them into something so completely different but still absolutely delicious!
So when I realized that I had ALL the ingredients or the flavor of pina colada it didnt take me too long to figure out that I wanted to make a delicous bread pudding, because I mean who doesn’t love a moist, flavorful bread pudding once and awhile?
This recipe is super easy and it combines ALL the flavors of a traditional pina colada like the coconut, pineapple and cherries! While adding a fun and even more tasty vanilla rum sauce that is poured over the whole mess of things. That really does put the cherry on top so to speak.
So I really dont know what meal bread pudding is actually considered…is it breakfast? Is it brunch? Or is it a dessert? It was never really made clear to me when you’re supposed to eat this so I’ve been eating bread pudding all day every day ever since I had my first slice just a few years ago.
I know you look at me…just a few years ago?!? I was literally scared to try this stuff up until then. The thought of stale bread soaked in milk just kinda turned me off. Well I had finally had a piece when I was at a buffet in Vegas and I was imediately hooked and I couldn’t stop making the stuff.
You can see some of my other fun flavors HERE! Trust me, you’ll love them all, because I sure did. Not that we have the same taste or anything, but if you’re reading this then obviously you or someone you know loves bread pudding so it’s absolutely worth taking a look at right?
So if you love yourself a good pina colada now and then, but dont really feel like having yourself the actual drink then this Pina Colada Bread Pudding is a good alternative when you just cant kick that craving!
Pina Colada Bread PuddingPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb loaf french , brioche or challah bread, stale and cut into about 1" squares
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup crushed pineapple , drained
- 1/2 cup diced cherries (maraschino)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
Vanilla Rum Sauce:
- 1 1/2 Tbs butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 Tbs rum
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place your bread into large bowl and set aside.
- In another large bowl mix together your coconut milk, milk, eggs, pineapple, cherries and coconut and whisk until combined.
- Pour your milk mixture over your bread and stir to coat, let sit for about 10 minutes.
- In greased 8"x8" or 9"x9" baking dish spread your bread pudding mixture and smooth out top, cover with tinfoil and bake for about 1.5 hours or until center is set.
- Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile to make your vanilla rum sauce in sauce pan on medium high melt your butter and stir in your milk.
- In small bowl whisk together your sugar and cornstarch and add to your milk mixture and reduce heat slightly and stir until your sauce begins to thicken.
- Once thick add in your vanilla and rum and stir to combine.
- Pour over your bread pudding and serve.
- Add additional sauce over individually cut slices if desired.