Delicious creamy coconut flavor make up this Coconut Cream Bread Pudding which is a new twist on a classic favorite.
Have you ever tried bread pudding? When I was first introduced to it when I was younger I was so put off that I refused to try it. Like who wants wet bread? I was sooooo uneducated about it and I just wouldn’t give it any chance back in the day.
We went to Vegas a little over a year ago and went to eat at the Aria buffet and they had bread pudding there and I gave it a chance, and guess what?!?!?! I fell in complete and utter love!
Have you seen all the different flavors of bread pudding out there? Holy cow some people have such creative ideas! So I got bored one day and decided to play around with some of my fave flavors.
Well technically I did buy bread with the intentions of making bread pudding, but I was also to go over to my moms for happy hour and I knew she loved coconut, so I made a play on coconut cream pie and came up with this ultimate Coconut Cream Bread Pudding version.
You’d never actually believe how easy this stuff is to make. It’s pretty much like glorified french toast, well it pretty much is just french toast in casserole form.
You do all the same dipping as you would in the typical version, but this stuff is baked and not fried! I’m not sure if I should qualify this as dessert or breakfast! All I know is that I could eat this all day errrrr day!
So besides the amazing flavor of the bread pudding itself being loaded with coconut AND crushed up vanilla wafers this bad boy is topped off with a creamy and awesome coconut glaze. Seriously, don’t skip the glaze…it makes this!
But I’ve always been a huge believer in glaze anyways, so I would always give you that word of advice regardless.
So hurry yourself into that kitchen of your and make yourself, or coconut lovers in your life this Coconut Cream Bread Pudding and eat yourself into creamy, crunchy sweets heaven!
Coconut Cream Bread Pudding with Coconut Glaze
- 1 loaf italian or french bread stale
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed vanilla wafers optional
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut your french or Italian loaf into 1 inch squares and set aside.
- In large bowl mix together 1 1/2 cup coconut milk, regular milk, eggs, cinnamon and 1/2 cup coconut and stir until combined.
- In 2 qt casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, spread a layer of your bread crumbs, top with 1/3 cup of each coconut and vanilla wafers. Repeat layer until all are used up.
- Pour your milk mixture over top and sprinkle with extra coconut if desired.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes for bread to soak up mixture, pressing down every so often to make sure the top layers of bread get soaked.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for about 1 hour or until set and toothpick comes out clean.
- To make your glaze mix the remainder of your coconut milk with about 2 cups of powdered sugar and drizzle over the top of your bread pudding.
- Serve and enjoy!