A hearty meal full of veggies, beans, sausage and pasta this Pasta e Fagioli Soup is an easy and delicious soup recipe that is comforting and filling!
So I’m a huge fan of Olive Garden, and I love their Pasta e Fagioli Soup recipe and it’s one of the ones that I get most often when I’m there. But I’m not going to say that this is a copycat of that recipe, it’s just my version of a favorite.
We have been making this soup for years. I originally posted it back in 2017 and figured that it is about time that it got a little update, and I’ve been craving it.
What I like most about this Pasta e Fagioli is that it is packed with all the veggies. When a soup has loads of different things in it, it really screams my name.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- Using just one pot this is an easy to make and clean up dinnertime meal.
- This make a large batch, enough to feed a whole family.
- With minimal steps, this soup is quick and easy to whip up for something comforting and fast.
We are a huge soup family. It’s one of those recipes that we come to more often than not because soup is usually easy to whip up and comforting and that’s pretty much what we are all about around here.
Comfort and ease is what we like and what we usually stick with when it comes to cooking, especially when it comes to this Pasta e Fagioli Soup!
HOW TO MAKE PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP, STEP BY STEP:
In large stock pot add 2 Tbs olive oil and Italian sausage and brown and cumble until cooked through, remove you sausage from pot into bowl, set aside.
Add you remaining olive oil to pan and add your onions, carrots, celery and garlic and heat for about 5 mins on medium heat until vegetables become tender.
Add your chicken broth, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spices, sugar and sausage to your pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil your pasta according to package directions, once soup has simmered add your cooked pasta.
- Stir in your pasta until everything is heated through and serve.
How are you even able to say no to a recipe this simple and full of all these delicious ingredients? I know that we cant!
CAN YOU FREEZE PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP?
Absolutely! While soups with pasta in them usually aren’t recommended for freezing since the pasta doesn’t hold up well to the reheating process you can still do it.
There are two options, you can cook the soup according to the instructions and then cool completely before placing in freezer bags or containers and freezing all together.
Or you can make the soup and freeze without the pasta, when reheating the soup to serve, boil another batch of pasta and stir in then, this will make sure that you have al dente and not mushy pasta.
This is one of those soup recipes that we like to keep frozen a lot of the times because my kids love it, my husband loves it and I love it. We are lucky to have less than picky eaters over here.
WHAT KIND OF PASTA TO USE:
Traditionally ditalini pasta is used in this Pasta e Fagioli Soup Recipe. When we first posted this back in 2017 we weren’t able to fine it so we used mini penne.
You can essentially use any smaller type of pasta for this recipe itself and do not have to rely on the ditalini as it is sometimes hard to find int he stores.
Other options would be small shells or rings, or any “mini” versions of your favorite pasta shapes as well.
So if you are looking for the perfect weeknight soup recipe that takes about 30 minutes to make then this Pasta e Fagioli Soup is one that you will want to keep on hand!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
If you’ve tried this PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP RECIPE or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and what shenanigans I’m getting into!
Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1 heaping cup uncooked mini penne or other small pasta
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 2 large ribs of celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced petite tomatoes
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- In large stock pot add 2 Tbs olive oil and Italian sausage and brown and cumble until cooked through.
- Remove you sausage from pot into bowl, set aside.
- Add you remaining olive oil to pan and add your onions, carrots, celery and garlic and heat for about 5 mins on medium heat until vegetables become tender.
- Add your chicken broth, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spices, sugar and sausage to pot and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil your pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- After 20 minutes add your pasta and heat through and serve.
ORIGINALLY POSTED JANUARY, 2017