Quick, easy and comforting this Egg Drop Soup Recipe is as simple as they come with great flavor, minimal ingredients and the perfect soup recipe to warm you up.
We like our soups around here and one soup that we always get when we get take-out is Egg Drop Soup, so here is a quick Egg Drop Soup recipe that won’t only warm you up, but really make you feel like you’re doing take-out from home, which we can all appreciate.We are a huge soup family, there is just some sort of comfort that comes to soup especially in the cold weather months here up in the midwest. This Egg Drop Soup recipe is one of our favorite quick recipes that we like to serve alone or alongside some of our other favorite dishes as well.
EGG DROP SOUP INGREDIENTS:
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Green onions
- Salt & pepper
WHAT IS EGG DROP SOUP?
To give you the easy answer to that question Egg Drop Soup is a Chinese soup of beaten eggs cooked in chicken broth. Plain and simple. While there are variations of the recipe, traditionally salt, pepper and green onions are added to the mixture. It is a plain and simple soup, but with such comforting flavor.
HOW TO MAKE EGG DROP SOUP:
- In a sauce pan add chicken broth, ginger and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Then you add in a cornstarch and water mixture (not necessary if you like more watery soup) to give it a little more texture and heat until slightly thickened, it won’t thicken up too much.
- Beat your eggs in a bowling slowly drizzle eggs into the hot broth mixture ONLY stirring one direction so the eggs cook and make little ribbons.
- Lastly add some green onions and salt and pepper. Some people add corn, but I’ve never had corn in mine so I left it out.
IS EGG DROP SOUP GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU?
Now there is the key question everyone wants to know. While a traditional cup of Egg Drop Soup only contains around 60-100 calories, it doesn’t provide much vitamins or minerals except vitamin C! So like I stated earlier, this is the perfect soup to sip on when you are sick, my kids love it, I love it and swear by it whenever I’m feeling under the weather for sure!
If you’re looking for an easy, quick and comforting soup this Egg Drop Soup recipe is all you’ll need. It reminds me of the Chinese version of Chicken Noodles Soup and this is one soup that I would want to eat on days when I’m cold, or sick or tired!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2-1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs water
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 green onions chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In pot on stove add your broth, ginger and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Mix together your water and cornstarch and add to boiling broth and stir, reducing heat to medium.
- Using a whisk slowly pour in your beaten eggs into your broth and stir clockwise until all eggs are added.
- Whisk in (in the same direction) your chopped green onions, salt and pepper.
PIN IT FOR LATER!