With 5 ingredients these Old Fashioned Homemade Sloppy Joes are a quick and easy dinnertime meal that is a classic favorite for the whole family!
When it comes to Homemade Sloppy Joes these Old Fashioned version are my absolute favorite. They really are super easy and simple and feed a crowd. We have a big family so we always go big or go home when it comes to this sloppy joe recipe.
We cant get enough with easy meals these days, with today finally being back to school for my kids they will come home hungrier than ever and when you need something that whips up quick and feeds these growing kids this recipe is the one you want and need!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED?
- Ground beef
- Diced onions
- Chicken gumbo soup
See how much more simple do those ingredients get. I know some people will look at that list and be like hmmmm, chicken gumbo soup eh? Yeah I know its such a weird and unconventional ingredient but it really makes these sloppy joes over the top.
These are a sloppy Joe recipe that has been in my family for many many years. My mom taught me how to make these when I was younger and grew up on this type of sloppy Joe.
I almost prefer this recipe to any other traditional sloppy Joe that has more of a tomato base sauce. The chicken gumbo soup really just adds to the flavor and gives it a really distinct flavor that is really hard to pass up.
HOW DO YOU MAKE OLD FASHIONED HOMEMADE SLOPPY JOES?
- In a large skillet brown your ground beef and onions until no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Add in your soup, ketchup and mustard and stir to combined.
- Bring to a gentle boil and heat for about 5-10 minutes to heat through and let the sauce reduce slightly.
Now you cant tell me that this recipe isn’t super simple. Now I don’t actually know why they call these “old fashioned” I think it might of been because they use minimal ingredients and soup back in the day when my grandma was younger was cheaper.
Honestly I don’t care why they call these sloppy joes old fashioned because we just can’t get enough of the. So if you’re looking for a different twist to your sloppy Joe line up then these are absolutely the way to go!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Old Fashioned Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced.
- 2 10.5 oz cans chicken gumbo soup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbs mustard
- Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet until beef is no longer pink and onions are translucent, drain off grease.
- Add in soup, ketchup and mustard and stir to combine.
- Heat to a gentle boil for 5-10 minutes until heated through and sauce has reduced slightly.
- Serve on buns.
PIN IT FOR LATER!