A delicious classic cake this Tres Leches Cake is poked and poured with a three milk mixture making it moist, light and absolutely irresistible!
I’ve always been a fan of Tres Leches Cake. I made this Coconut Tres Leches Cake a few years back and we inhaled it! I figured since I didn’t have an “original” recipe for one that I would need to put one up on the blog! I mean it’s a no brainer.
HOW DO YOU MAKE TRES LECHES CAKE?
- You start by mixing up your cake ingredients starting with whisking the dry ingredients together and setting aside.
- You then separate the egg whites and egg yolks into two separate bowls and mix you egg yolks with some sugar until pale in color. Then you add in your milk and vanilla.
- Pour the yolk mixture over the dry ingredients and gently fold them into one another.
- Now you beat your egg whites until they are nice and frothy and in 3 additions fold them into the flour/yolk mixutre and spread into pan and bake.
- In a bowl or measuring cup whisk together your milks and cinnamon and when the cake is done you poke holes all over the cake and pour the milk mixture over the cake. You then cover and refrigerate over night.
- Before serving mix together whipped cream, sugar and cinnamon and spread over cooled cake and serve.
We had a Mexican foodie theme night for our game night last weekend where I made:
So it was only fitting that I were to make a dessert to follow suit! So obviously it was requested that I make Tres Leches Cake and you guys…there was NOTHING left!
Now my kids are off and on cake eaters, but they inhaled this cake along with all our adult friends. While I love doing layer cakes, sometimes the most beautiful and flavorful cakes are the single layer “snack” type of cakes. Not only are they easier, they are smaller portioned which some people prefer and are just a breeze to make.
WHAT KIND OF CAKE IS TRES LECHES CAKE?
Tres Leches Cake is either a sponge cake or a butter cake in some places that is traditionally poured with three milks. There are variations to the milk combinations among some popular recipes, in this recipe we use evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. Some people would use regular milk but I like the texture and richness the heavy cream provides.
Now making your own whip cream for this isn’t essential, but when I do things homemade I like to make sure the majority of the recipe itself is all homemade.
So I make my whip cream with heavy cream sugar and again I like to add some cinnamon into the mix instead of sprinkling it over the top like some of the other traditional recipes call for!
This Tres Leches Cake will be your new favorite cake, now it does take some waiting around to get the full delicious cake effect, I wait a full 8 hours to let the milk mixture really soak into the cake, and boy does that cake ever soak that up! You’d think with all that liquid it would be soggy, but it really isn’t! It results in a super moist cake that holds up absolutely perfect!
So if you’re looking for a pretty, delicious and fun cake for your next treat then this Tres Leches Cake is just what you need!
Tres Leches Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together your flour, baking powder in salt.
- Separate your egg putting yolks in to medium bowl and white into another medium bowl.
- In your yolk bowl add 3/4 cup sugar and beat with hand mixer until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Stir in your milk and vanilla.
- Pour yolk mixture over flour mixture and fold in to gently incorporate.
- Using hand mixer beat your egg white until they just become frothy and slowly add in your remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add your egg white mixture into your flour/yolk mixture in 1/3 increments gently folding in after each addition.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until lightly golden and center is set, remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl whisk together your evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and cinnamon.
- Once cake is cooled poke holes using fork all over the top of your cake.
- Pour milk mixture over the top making sure to get everywhere including all the sides (the cake will soak this all up).
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hour or overnight.
- Once chilled make your whipped topping.
- In large bowl beat together your heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until stiff peaks form.
- Spread 2/3 of the mixture over the top of your cake.
- Place remaining topping into a piping bag fitted with an open star tip.
- Pipe swirls over the top of the cake (12 of them).
- Top with strawberries.
- Cut and serve!
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.Nutrition Disclaimer
PIN IT FOR LATER!