Crispy tater tots topped with melted cheese, sausage gravy, bacon bits, chives and adorned with a sunny side up egg making this Sausage and Gravy Breakfast Poutine worth waking up for!
Ok ya’ll I love Poutine. I can already see some of you scratching your heads like “what’?!?! Poutine is a seriously awesome dish that originated in Canada (oh thank you!!). It consists of french fries, gravy and cheese curds, doesn’t that combination just make your mouth water? For real!
What the difference is about my Poutine compared to the original is that instead of cheese curds I used shredded cheese and typically they use brown gravy where I like a milk gravy on mine.
Hey, everyone has their thing…that way just so happens to be mine. AND I LUUURRRRVVV it!! One of my top 10 favorite foods hands down.
There are so so so many different variations of this delectable dish out there from pulled pork, buffalo chicken, beer cheese, you name it…it’s probably been made into poutine, or should!
Well I decided that I was going to try and get crafty and threw some stuff together and created this Sausage and Gravy Breakfast Poutine. Oh lawdy, you wont want to put this down.
Now I’m a huge sausage and gravy fan to begin with, but this takes my love of the stuff over the top. You have crispity crunchy tater tots that are sprinkled with shredded cheese, topped off with the epic sausage gravy and topped with bacon bits, chives and to finish her off…a sunny side up egg.
Honestly, the egg makes this dish. The taste of the yolk dripping down into the rest of the cheesy, gravy goodness is almost too much for me to handle. The flavors combine so well together that I just want to keep eating for days. Which I think I might, just because I can…that’s how I roll.
So let me give it to you straight. If you’re looking for a seriously delicious new breakfast (or literally any time dish) this Sausage and Gravy Breakfast Poutine is where it at.
You pretty much got all your food groups in one lovely bowl and it will fill you up and keep you satisfied until you want to go back for more!
Sausage and Gravy Breakfast Poutine
- 1 32 oz bag tater tots
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon bits or 1-2 slices cooked chopped bacon
- 1 Tbs chives diced
- 4 eggs
- Bake tater tots according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in large skillet, brown your sausage, once browned add in your flour and stir to coat sausage pieces, add in your milk and stir until thickened.
- In another large skillet make your sunny side up eggs by adding about 1/2 cup oil to pan and heating on medium. Crack your eggs over the oil and let sit for a few seconds.
- Once eggs just start to turn white, with spoon drizzle oil over the whites of them until cooked through and no longer slimy.
- Once white are cooked seal in the yolk by drizzling a little of the oil over tops of that as well. Remove from pan onto paper towel lined plate.
- Once tater tots and gravy are done, add about 1/4 of your tots to a bowl, sprinkle with cheese and let sit a minute.
- Drizzle your sausage gravy (as much or as little as you like, I like a lot so I drizzle a lot) over the tops of your tater tots.
- Top with a sprinkle of chive and bacon bits and gently lay your egg on top, repeat for each serving.