A quick prep easy weeknight dinner these Porcupine Meatballs are savory, tender and full of flavor. Perfect recipe for the whole family to enjoy.
As you all know we love easy recipes around this house. I think that was the trend with my mom growing up as well, since she made these Porcupine Meatballs religiously.
Everyone in my house if pretty hearty eaters and these meatballs really do the job of filling up each and every last one of them.
These Porcupine Meatballs have been a recipe that have been in my family for ages. Now the name is kind of weird, but you can kind of get the reference from the photos.
The “porcupine” in the name refers to the rice that is baked inside the meatballs that sticks out once baked. Name aside, this is seriously one addicting recipe.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- Ground beef
- Tomato Sauce
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce
Thats is, super simple ingredients. Plus minimal ingredients lists like that don’t mean that they lack in flavor, it just means that some of the simplest of recipes are the best.
Now that I say that these meatballs are filling on their own, they do make a hearty batch of giant meatballs we do absolutely love to serve them with different side dishes.
Some of my favorite sides are:
So confession, I’m just a sucker for meatballs. Like I’ll take them in any way, shape or form that I can. They are my real comfort food. And these Porcupine Meatballs are serious comfort for sure.
HOW TO MAKE PORCUPINE MEATBALLS:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In bowl whisk together tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire sauce, set aside.
- In another bowl mix together ground beef, rice, water, minced onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Shape meat into balls about 2″ in diameter.
- Place in a 1.5-2qt baking dish and pour your tomato sauce mixture over top.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour.
Really this recipe is so simple. The hardest part is waiting for an hour until you can dig in. So this recipe is the perfect one for those cold winter nights that you have a little time to just sit back and relax.
These are also one of those recipes that we love to bring to potlucks. I don’t know if this is more a midwestern recipe or where it originated from but this is one recipe that gets brought to a lot of gatherings around these parts.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Use a lower fat ground beef, it minimizes the grease in the sauce.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion your meatballs, it creates the perfect size.
- Serve meatballs over mashed potatoes drizzled with the gravy mix, soooo good.
- Make sure all meatballs are covered in sauce so the rice cooks.
If there is any reason to try this recipe, its totally for the name. Lol just kidding, its for how good and simple these are. They are one recipe that your family will keep coming back to!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbs minced onion optional
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In bowl mix together your ground beef, rice, water, minced onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder and shape into large meatballs (about 2 inches in diameter).
- Place into large baking dish.
- Mix together your tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire sauce and pour over meatballs making sure they are covered.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for about 1 hour.
PIN IT FOR LATER!