Moist, flavorful, simple and delicious, this Lemon Ricotta Cake is a tasty citrus cake recipe that you can whip up in one bowl and never have leftovers!
We are lemon fans around here, but let me tell you that this isn’t my first rodeo when it comes to Ricotta Cake. This is one of our absolutely favorite recipes that we now have it in three forms. Lemon, Italian Ricotta Cake and Chocolate Ricotta Cake.
It is the recipe that is so popular in our house and among friends that we keep whipping it up and changing up the flavors, and none of them have ever disappointed. So now we have a flavor for whatever your mood is.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE LEMON RICOTTA CAKE:
- White Cake Mix
- Lemon extract
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Heavy cream
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
The best part of this ricotta cake is that the cake itself is mixed up in one bowl. Now I know some people get turned off by using cake mixes, but trust me when I say that once you try this cake, that will be the last thing from your mind.
The less dishes that need to be done and using one bowl for this recipe really entices me to keep making it over and over again.
HOW TO MAKE RICOTTA CAKE:
Preheat oven to 325.
Spray a 10″ springform pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
In large bowl beat together with hand mixer your ricotta, eggs, extracts and oil until combined.
Add in your cake mix and beat until just incorporated.
Add in heavy cream mixing until blended in.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 60 minutes or until center is set.
Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 5 minutes then remove edges and cool completely.
Once cooled make your glaze by mixing your powdered sugar and lemon juice together in bowl.
Pour over cooled cake and top with lemon slice if desired.
This Ricotta cake recipe is sooooo easy. It’s one of those that you can taste and it tastes super decadent, but in reality, you really aren’t putting much effort into making something just so flavorful.
That is what we are aiming for here. Easy recipes that are super tasty. No one will ever be wiser when it comes to knowing how little time you spent on this cake.
Some common questions about this lemon ricotta cake recipe are:
HOW DO YOU STORE RICOTTA CAKE?
This recipe can be stored at room temperature for about 1-2 days, any longer than that I would suggest putting it in the refrigerator, that’s if it lasts that long.
CAN RICOTTA CAKE BE FROZEN?
Yes, you can freeze ricotta cake. Make sure the cake is completely cooled before wrapping in tin foil then putting in an airtight container such as a ziploc bag on Tupperware.
This will keep frozen for about one month. To defrost just remove and let thaw in the refrigerator over night.
When comparing this cake to anything else, it would most likely be described as a mixture between a cheesecake and cake. It is moist and dense like a cheesecake, yet light and fluffy like a normal cake.
It is like two of the best desserts collided and became one amazing dessert.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- We like to use a rimmed springform pan like this one. It prevents any leaking, which the cake usually doesn’t do, but you can always wrap your pan in tinfoil before baking.
- The cake has been known to sink a little in the middle after cooling, this is completely normal for this cake. Think of it as a cheesecake, it rises tall then when it cools it sinks.
- Switch up your cake mix flavors for different and fun flavor combinations like listed above, you can have a ricotta cake for any occasion.
- Let cake cool completely before glazing, if the cake is too warm the glaze will melt off.
If you want that perfect cake mashup then you need to whip up this Lemon Ricotta Cake ASAP! You will not be disappointed. It is quick, easy and flavorful.
Lemon Ricotta Cake
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract or more depending on your liking
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs lemon zest
- 1-2 Tbs milk optional
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spray a 10" springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl beat together with hand mixer your ricotta, eggs, extracts and oil until combined.
- Add in your cake mix and beat until just incorporated.
- Add in heavy cream mixing until blended in.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 60 minutes or until center is set.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 5 minutes then remove edges and cool completely.
- Once cooled make your glaze by mixing your powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest together in bowl.
- Pour over cooled cake.
- Cut and serve.