A delicous pretzel stuffed with chunks of ham and melty cheese and topped with tart sea salt.
Can you guy’s believe it’s almost the Super Bowl? I’m a Minnesota girl so I’ve got my heart set on the Vikings moving on, hopefully we will be able to take down the Seahawks this weekend! Got my fingers crossed on this one. But the best part about this time of year is all the delicious game day foods. Nothing beats appetizers and football food in my book…well maybe sweets. I have a sweet spot you know. Haha I made a funny. Anyways, what better for game day than these Hot Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pretzels.
I’m that person who goes to the mall and walks by the pretzel stand and just stands there and sniffs. Yeah I know it’s weird but that smell is seriously intoxicating. We had a red-eye flight back home from Vegas last April and we had to stop at the pretzel stand because I couldn’t be sitting in that terminal smelling that thing for over an hour and not have some. Devoured them in 2 minutes flat.
Making pretzels at home is actually pretty easy if you’ve never attempted it before. I used to make them and dip them in queso sauce, yummo. The hardest part about these things is probably the time it takes the dough to rise. If you have a stand mixer with a paddle attachment then you are golden. Unfortunately I do not own such a thing and make all my dough by hand. I always tell my husband when I knead the dough I’m getting my daily workout. But there is just something about making dough by hand that draws me in.
Stuff these bad boys with some leftover ham (or thicker slices from the deli) and cheese. Seal it up, boil and bake and you got yourself on heck of a recipe on your hand. Better eat these right out of the oven because once people start smelling these bad boys you will have to fight them off like a pack of wolves. So think about bringing this delicious recipe to your next game, tis the season!
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook and Twitter! Don’t want to miss out on all these tasty eats and treats I share!
Hot Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 Pkg (2 1/2 tsactive dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbs salted butter melted
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour more for dusting
- 6-8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 8 oz chopped ham
- 1 (8 oblock Colby-Jack Cheese diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbs water
- Sea Salt
- In bowl combine your water and sugar.
- Add your yeast and let proof for about 5 minutes until bubbly and foamy.
- Add in your salt, butter and flour one cup at a time until it starts to pull away from bowl.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead dough for about 5-7 minutes or until a round smooth ball forms.
- Place in greased bowl and set in warm place to rise for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Once risen, turn out onto greased counter top and separate into 8 equal pieces.
- Stretch each piece to about 24" long and flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Add some of the filling up the center of each dough piece.
- Pinch the sides closed, sealing in the filling and then twist into a pretzel shape.
- In large pan combine your water and baking soda.
- Add pretzels in batches, about 2 a piece and boil for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from pot with slotted spoon and place on greased baking sheet.
- After all are done boiling mix together your egg yolk and water and brush over each pretzel and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle with additional salt if desired.
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.
These look insanely good. I’ve been wanting to try making pretzels again for a while now. It’s on my brain. And my 4YO has taken to asking for ham, cheese, tomato, and mustard sandwiches. You must have been catching our brain waves here. Pinned!
Woah what a hit these are, including with me! 🙂 Congrats on your DOUBLE FEATURE at Turn It Up my bloggy friend 🙂 Pinning!
Thanks Katie!! I was so surprised to see that but am happy these and the stadium were liked!!