A fun holiday cake this Gingerbread Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and Caramel Drizzle is sure to evoke all the holiday joy!
You guys, Christmas is in 3 weeks. How can this be? It feels like it was just the end of Summer and school was just starting. We were still in flip flops, shorts and t-shirts. Fall literally flew by and now we are going to be in full fledged winter mode. Snow, frigid temps, boots and parkas.
I’m from Minnesota do winters can be pretty brutal here. -30 is nothing new and snow reaching a few feet every so often is something that we are used to. But in all honesty, as much as this is the norm here….it is never easy to get used to once it starts for the season. NEVER.
But this is one of the best times of the year. With Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year all clustered together in the span of 6 weeks; it’s like the celebration never ends. Family gatherings and good food are just the beginning.
Speaking of good food, this Gingerbread Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and Caramel Drizzle is one for the books. Nothing screams Christmastime more than gingerbread to me. I always have to sneak in 1 or 10 gingerbread recipes throughout this time of year because frankly, I’m addicted to the flavor.
This holiday fave utilizes Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All-Purpose White Flour as one of the key and essential ingredients. This flour is freshly milled from Organic hard red wheat. Both the bran and the germ have been removed leaving the endosperm that is made into white flour. It is not enriched with any additives.
Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour is also incredibly versatile and can be used in so many other baking needs such as breads, pizza crust, cookies, etc.
So let’s get the low down on this gem shall we? 2 layers of gingerbread cake house a thick creamy layer of the cinnamon cream cheese frosting. The whole thing is then coated in the same frosting and drizzled with a sweet caramel sauce. This cake is a fun family favorite that we love having as our Christmas dessert.
If you’re interested in trying this Gingerbread Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and Caramel Drizzle then you’ll need to grab yourself this money saving coupon that you can use on some of your favorite Bob’s Red Mill products!
What are some of your favorite holiday flavors that you have to have on your table each and every year to celebrate the season?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose White Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all-spice
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup mik
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 cups butter softened
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon add more if needed and taste to your liking
- 1 11 oz bag caramel bits
- 1/2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 2 9" round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In bowl with electric mixer mix together your butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in your molasses and eggs and keep mixing until smooth.
- In another bowl mix together your flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- Alternate adding your flour mixture and milk into butter mixture in about 3 additions.
- Once everything is blended, distribute evenly in prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until cake springs back and toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pans for about 5 minutes, then run knife around edges of pans and turn cakes out onto wire racks to cool completes.
- While cooling make your frosting by beating your butter until fluffy. Add in your cream cheese and continue mixing until combined.
- Add in your powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, once all is added add in your heave cream until you reach your desired consistency, add in you cinnamon and mix.
- Once cakes are cool, add on layer onto cake stand/turntable and top with about 1 cup of your cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
- Top with other layer and spread a thin layer of frosting on the outside and top of cake to create a crumb coat then place in freezer for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove from freezer and continue to frost your cake reserving about 1 cup for decorating at end, starting from top down until sides and top is smooth, place back into freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your caramel sauce by combining caramels and heavy cream in sauce pan on medium heat, stir until caramels melt.
- Remove cake from freezer and using spoon around top of cake spoon a little of your caramel sauce over the top and pushing it over the edge a little to create a drip, do that all around the cake. Once all drips are created add more caramel sauce to top of cake to cover.
- Again place in freezer for about 10 minutes to cool down the caramel.
- To finish cake pipe the rest of the cinnamon cream cheese frosting on top of the caramel in any design and if desired garnish with cranberries and cinnamon sticks.