Crispy, sweet and absolutely delicious these French Crullers are the perfect breakfast recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth with minimal ingredients.
So there is debate on if French Crullers are donuts or not. Technically they are considered a fried pastry made of a choux dough.
I still call these donuts, because frankly I’m obsessed with all things donuts in my life. I mean you have to check out my Lemon Baked Donuts, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Donuts and these Butterfinger Donut Holes!
My love of Crullers began so many years ago, started off with your chocolate dipped ones and then grew to the glazed ones, which has became my favorite ever since.
I can not go to a bakery anywhere and not pick me up a couple of Crullers, true story. If that was the only thing I could have, I would.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- The dough has minimal ingredients and comes together quickly and easily.
- They are deep fried so they have a nice light and airy texture as the inside expands making it essentially hollow.
- The glaze adds everything to the Crullers, you cannot ever go without the sweet glaze.
People know me as the baker lady around these parts, and I’m always happy to share, but this one of those recipes that I would rather keep to myself, and you’ll see why!
WHAT ARE CRULLERS MADE OF?
Like stated earlier, French Crullers are a form of choux dough which is completely different than your normal donut batter.
The main ingredients in the dough are water, sugar, flour and eggs. That is all. You can add a glaze, which mine consists of powdered sugar, milk and honey.
Super simple! No weird ingredients, normal pantry staples that if you are a baker of any sort have on hand at all times.
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH CRULLERS, STEP BY STEP:
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING FRENCH CRULLERS:
- Only add enough egg whites to the batter to make he dough glossy, but still stiff enough to pipe, you do not want a wet dough.
- To crisp up, add to air fryer at 350 for 5 minutes the day after to have yourself a nice crisp day old batch.
- There recipe can easily be doubled or tripled depending on the amount of people you are serving, these are great served warm or cold.
- Let glaze set up completely, otherwise they will be sticky to handle.
If you are looking for the perfect breakfast recipe then you absolutely need to whip up a batch of these easy French Crullers, this recipe will knock your socks off!
Some of my other favorite sweet breakfast recipes include:
If you’ve tried these FRENCH CRULLERS or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and what shenanigans I’m getting into!
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tbs salted butter diced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs honey
- 4 Tbs milk
- Preheat your deep fryer to 365.
- Cut wax or parchment paper into about 12 4"x4" squares, set aside.
- In sauce pan mix together your butter, water and sugar and heat until boiling and butter is melted.
- Once boiling vigorously stir in flour until well combined and continue to heat and stir for about 4-5 minutes to cook out excess water.
- Remove from pan and transfer into large bowl, let cool slightly.
- With hand mixer add 1 egg at a time and blend well after each addition.
- Mix your egg whites in a small bowl mix in a little at a time until glossy but yet still stiff enough to be able to pipe out. You do not need to add all egg whites, use your judgement on texture for how well it will hold up.
- Once mixed add your dough to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- Spray individual parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray and pipe donuts into about 3" circles.
- Drop your crullers paper side up into hot oil (paper will separate from donut and remove paper with tongs) and cook about 1-2 minutes on each side until a nice golden brown.
- Remove donuts from fryer and let drain and cool on paper towel lined cooling rack. Repeat for all crullers.
- Once cool mix together your glaze ingredients and dip tops of crullers in them and set aside to set.
- Serve and enjoy!
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED OCTOBER 2016