Easy, creamy and flavorful these old-fashioned Creamed Potatoes are the perfect side dish to any meal. A real comfort dish that the family will love.
We are big potato lovers in this house. We have always loved potatoes in any way shape or form, cream, baked, mashed, scalloped, etc.
This Cream Potato recipe is a quick and easy side dish that goes good with any meal that you are looking to add something starchy to. Plus the creaminess that goes along with this recipe is to die for.
Now we love ourselves some scalloped potatoes and the creaminess of those but there is something about Creamed Potatoes that really get us. It’s an old-fashioned recipe that has been made since who knows when that is still a favorite today.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED?
With that short list how can you go wrong? We are all for easy recipes in this house and this is one of those recipes that fit that bill hands down!
I know that at times it can get overwhelming with some recipes that have really long lists of ingredients and promise that the recipe will be worth it in the end, only to be consumed and feels like that the effort wasn’t worth it to just be consumed so quickly.
Well I can promise you with these Creamed Potatoes that even the short and simple recipes can produce the same results.
The best part about cooking and baking is that recipes don’t have to be super hard and complicated to be addicting and flavorful. You’d be seriously surprised at home any recipes are out there that are like 5 ingredients or less that come out to be some of the best recipes EVER!
WHAT POTATOES DO YOU USE?
This recipe can pretty much any type of potatoes, we used russet for this recipe but you could also use:
- Yukon gold
- Red potatoes
- New potatoes
The potatoes are diced in the recipe so the actual type of potato doesn’t really matter much. I know that growing up we used a lot of different types of potatoes from this recipe, pretty much whatever we had in our garden at the time and they always came out perfect.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CREAMED POTATOES?
- Peel and dice potatoes into 1″ pieces.
- Add potatoes to large pot and cover with water and bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove potatoes and drain and place in serving bowl, set aside.
- To make your cream sauce, in saucepan melt your butter and stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Slowly add in your milk whisking consistently until thickened.
- Pour over the top of potatoes and toss to coat, sprinkle with paprika, salt, pepper and fresh parsley.
This really is one of those easy side dish recipes that you’ll want to keep on hand. Not only do we love it, our kids are addicted to these as well.
You always see people serving mashed potatoes as a side dish but these Creamed Potatoes are an age old classic recipe that really doesn’t go out of style and just gives a little different dimension and flavor to your potatoes that will not disappoint!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
- 2 lbs potatoes about 6
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Peel and slice potatoes into about 1" pieces.
- Add to a medium pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until fork tender, remove from heat, drain and place into serving bowl, set aside.
- In another medium sauce pan add your butter and melt.
- Stir in your flour, salt and pepper.
- Slowly add in your milk, whisking consistently until smooth and heat until thickened.
- Pour over potatoes and gently toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with paprika, parsley and salt and pepper.
PIN IT FOR LATER!