Delicous chicken marinated in a yogurt sauce all wrapped in a pita and topped with fresh veggies and tzatziki sauce.
We all have that one food that makes your mouth water the moment you think of it. Am I right? Or am I right! Mine just happens to be Chicken Gyros. Omg yummmmmm. I’m drooling just thinking about these now. Once you see how easy these are to make you’ll question yourself why you waited so long to make them in the first place.
I’m lucky enough coming from a small town to actually have not one but two places that serves gyros. It would have been three but Arby’s decided to stop selling their gyros. Seriously Arby’s, why?!?! I loved those things. Ugh. But the gyros I get from the little place in our mall are so great. These bad boys though hold a close second! I wish I could hold a candle to how these people make their food because it is absolutely amazing.
As much as I’d love to use those meat wheels that they use in the restaurants the chicken breast in these does an amazing job. The marinade that they soak and cook in is so refreshing alongside the homemade tzatziki sauce that they are hard to put down. I am so happy that I can across an easy delicious recipe that can give me my one of my droolworthy faves in less than an hour!
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 regular cucumber peeled and seeded
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dill
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2-3 Tbs lemon juice fresh or bottled
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 Pita bread
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped onion
- Shred or chop cucumber either using a food processor or a knife.
- Once chopped wrap in kitchen towel and squeeze out any water.
- In bowl add all your sauce ingridents and mix together until blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cut your chicken into slices.
- In bowl add your garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Whisk ingredients together until blended.
- Add your chopped chicken breasts and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for atleast an hour but can be left overnight.
- Once ready add your chicken to a non stick skillet and fry until no longer pink and they have a little char to the outside.
- Warm your pitas in microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften.
- Spread bottom of pita with a little of your tzatziki sauce and top with chicken.
- Layer on desired veggies and top with more tzatziki sauce if desired.