Gooey and delicious, this Upside Down Banana Cake is a serious hit! Bananas and caramel collide to make the perfect cake!
Do you ever get those aha moments? Like, an OMG why didn’t I ever think of this before? Yeah i got that when eating this batter, er I mean cake. The caramely banana topping that drips down the sides is to.die.for! Seriously.
I can honestly sadly admit that I have never tried an upside down anything cake before. I have had upside down pineapple cake on my list for quite some time but just have never had pineapple and cherries on hand at the same time. Sad I know. Finally there has been an end to an era when I came across this beauty at Sprinkle Some Sugar.
Its a very daunting task to actually get my husband to eat any of my desserts. Not for the lack of them being good, but for the lack of him having any sort of sweet tooth at all. I bet you’re wondering “Gee Alli, where do all your sweets go if your husband doesn’t partake in the indulging?” Um, *sadly raising my hand* they all go in my belly, yup you heard that right. I EAT THEM ALL!
Anywho, recipe! That’s what you all came here for anyways, well you better get used to my rants because they will be coming regularly! So get to liking them darn it! Lol.
Upside Down Banana Cake
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbs butter melted
- 2 bananas thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas about 2 medium
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or any milk will essentially do
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9″ springform pan, set aside.
- Combine the topping ingredients in bowl. Press mixture into bottom of the pan. Layer banana rounds on top of mix.
- In larger bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour on top of the brown sugar and banana mixture. Bake for 45 mins or until set (when toothpick comes out clean.)
- Let cool a few minutes before turning onto a serving platter. Be very careful with this, mine slipped out of the pan quite easily!