This slow cooker roasted sweet potato soup with ham is the ultimate comfort food. It’s packed with veggies, sweet potatoes, and kidney beans and will leave you begging for more!
Hey there, heeeyyy! I’m Jen. It’s nice to meet ya!
A little about me and my blog: I’m a mother (to three kiddos) and wife to an awesomely bearded man. We live in Vero Beach, FL where the beach is right around the corner. I heart all things salt water, the sun, my flip flops, fishing, and food. I like to go through life with a sarcastic sense of humor, because, well, it’s life. I love all things food and I share delish food recipes (and our once-a-month Life Currently so you can see what goes on behind the scenes of our crazy kitchen) over at So Damn Delish. Over there our recipes are tried and true and must meet the following “requirements”: easy, budget friendly, flavorful, bold, and delish! Come on over and say heeeyyy…
Now that you know all about me let me tell you all about this roasted sweet potato soup with ham. It’s easy, hearty, and delicious, my friends.
Steps to Making This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup with Ham
- Roast: Slice all your veggies and sweet potatoes and throw em all on a sheet pan. Roast at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Slow Cooker: Dump all your roasted veggies, sweet potatoes, ham, and seasonings into your slow cooker. Turn it on and let it work it’s magic baby!
- Puree: After your slow cooker is done doing its magic you’re gonna puree this soup, but first you must add the half and half. Then puree- this is easily done right in the slow cooker with a handheld immersion blender. You can also use a blender but that requires working in small batches and working with hot liquids, so be careful when blending!
- Add: Add your drained can of dark red kidney beans to the soup.
- Heat: Heat the kidney beans and soup in the slow cooker for 30 minutes.
- Eat: Last step is to grab a spoon and sit down to eat your hearty roasted sweet potato soup with ham!
And lemme just tell you that you will eat all this soup up. Jaxson (our 7 year old) told me that this was THE BEST soup I have ever made and he asked for seconds, so that’s a #winwin in my parenting book, y’all. ;). He said that his favorite was the sweet potatoes and the kidney beans, so whatever you do do NOT skip the beans.
The beans add a texture and provide a nice crisp bite to the pureed soup. Don’t like kidney beans? No prob! In this sweet potato soup with ham recipe the type of bean is completely interchangeable. Some of our other favs to use are: white beans, cannellini beans, black beans, pinto beans, or chickpeas.
So, let’s get ready for fall and winter and make this slow cooker roasted sweet potato soup with ham.
Slow Cooker Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Ham
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed into roughly 1 inch cubes
- 1-1.5 lb Ham Steak , cubed, (or leftover ham)- bone set aside
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can of dark red kidney beans, drained *
- 4 carrots, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 6 cups (48 oz) chicken broth, (can sub veggie broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup half and half, more for serving
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic cloves, celery, and onion to sheet pan in single layer. Add olive oil. Toss to combine. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning once halfway through, until potatoes are soft and browned.
- Add roasted veggies, ham, ham bone, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and salt to slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low 6-7 hours.
- Remove cover. Add half and half. Use immersion blender to puree the soup right in the slow cooker **. When finished pureeing add the kidney beans to slow cooker. Cook on high for 30 min-1 hour heating the beans.
- Serve. Add fresh parsley or more half and half to each bowl of soup, if desired.
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.Nutrition Disclaimer