Warm, comforting and delicious this Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew is full of vegetables, spices and beer! The perfect comforting stew recipe.
We love soups and stews around our house, especially this time of the year where we get our real cold spells right before spring hits. It never fails, so we always ensure that we have ingredients on hand to make those comfort classics! It even gets better when you can toss everything in the slow cooker and let it do its magic!
HOW DO YOU THICKEN BEEF STEW?
There is debate on how thick people like their stews, we like ours a with a little liquid but not soupy, hence the stew part and not the soup. 30 minutes before serving you mix together some water and cornstarch and stir it into your stew and cover and cook and that will thicken pretty much any type of stew our soup.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BEEF STEW?
There are many variations on making this classic dish, but the normal and typical ingredients are stew meat, carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. That is what makes up the substance of your stew. Add in some beef broth, in this recipe we use Guinness beer, and some seasonings and you have yourself a recipe for perfection!
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SOUP AND A STEW?
While a lot of stews look like soups there are a variety of differences. The main one being the consistency or thickness of the overall dish. Soups tend to me more liquidy and stews are thicker with less liquid. Stews also cook longer which gives the ingredients lot’s of time to marry the flavors together.
This Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew recipe is a hearty meal and one that you’ll want to add to your comfort menu, the preparation is relatively quick, the flavors are amazing and it feeds a crowd!
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef StewPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 lb stew meat
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2" rounds
- 2 large stalks celery sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 12 oz bottle Guinness beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Tbs cornstarch
- 4 Tbs water
- In large ziploc bag add your flour, salt, pepper and stew meat and shake to coat.
- In large skillet add your oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add your stew meat and brown on all sides to lock in flavor, set aside.
- In large 6-8 quart crockpot add your potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and tomato paste.
- Add in stew meat, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, Guinness and bay leaves and stir to coat.
- Heat on low for 6-8 hours,
- 30 minutes before serving stir together cornstarch and water and mix into beef stew and stir around, cook on high for 30 minutes or until desired thickness is reached.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.