Spicy shredded chili chicken, peppers and pepper jack cheese make these Chicken Fajita Sliders a tasty little handheld snack!
Ok I get it, Taco Tuesday was yesterday. Well I’m a huge Mexican food lover and love making all kinds. What I had originally made was Shredded Chicken Gorditas, but it was really rainy that day and the pictures really didn’t work out. So I was left with my delicious chili chicken and nothing to do with it. Welcome Chicken Fajita Sliders.
Usually with the chicken I make Pollo Fundido, which I have to say is hands down one of my all time favorite Mexican dishes ever. We have a great Mexican restaurant near us and they make the best Pollo Fundido. I was just happy that I could recreate it at home so I wasn’t always emptying my wallet every time I had a hankering for the stuff.
One thing I usually like to keep on hand is slider buns because I love making sliders. Most of the recipes I’ve come across and used have been a fairly simple and quick recipe that I can just top, bake and go. Kinda like this one! The most time you’ll take for these Chicken Fajita Sliders is baking them to get the cheese all melty. Technically you wouldn’t even have to do that if you didn’t want to, but who doesn’t love melty cheese!
I call my chicken chili chicken because I make this homemade chili salt that I like to keep on hand for a lot of my Mexican chicken dishes. It’s super simple to make and I just keep mine in a small tupperware container along with all my other spices in the cabinet so I don’t have to keep remaking every time that I want to use it. The recipe below can be easily doubled to make a bigger batch but I scaled it down to make it pertain to this recipe, which still is a little more than you probably need to use, but like I said it stores well and is handy to have on hand!
Anyways, so if you’re anything like me…baseball has consumed our lives this summer. I have 3 boys who are in it, who each have games on different days so Monday through Friday we have ball anywhere from 5-8. So making supper is either done in the afternoon where we quickly eat before we go, or has to be something real quick like these sliders. You can also make them before hand, stick them in the refrigerator for later, then pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes and you’re set!
Since I’m a huge Mexican food lover I’d love to know what some of your favorite Mexican dishes are so I can give them a go!
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (rotisserie works)
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red pepper
- 2 Tbs oil
- 9 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 (12 count) pkg slider buns
- 1/8 cup sea salt
- 1/8 cup chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne peppers
- Dash paprika
- Dash pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In skillet heat add your oil, onion and peppers and heat until they are tender, remove and set aside.
- To make chili salt add all ingredients to bowl and stir until mixed.
- Add your chicken, about 2 Tbs (more or less for heat preference) chili salt and can of green chiles, stir and heat through, remove from heat.
- In an 11"x7" (could use a larger pan if you don't have one this size) pan place the bottoms of slider buns and add your cooked chicken.
- Top with pepper and onion mixture and layer with cheese.
- Place tops of buns over chicken and cover with tin foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.