Warm up with this Cajun Ham and Sausage Bean Soup! Spicy, meaty and delicious this is one soup that will fill you up just on looks alone!
I love soup! And it doesn’t necessarily have to be just around the winter time either. I’m a soup and chili gal all year round. That’s just how I roll ya’ll. I’m almost certain that there are a few of you out there that can relate with me. I mean how can you just wait until cooler weather to enjoy these hearty delicious things?
So usually after the holidays, mainly Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter I like to make a big pot of Ham and Bean Soup. It’s been a family staple since I was younger as my mom made it when I grew up. I actually had gotten sick of it where I hadn’t made it for years because she had made it sooooooo much.
But like always, I grew up, became an adult and realized what was good for me. And soup does the body some good!! Now I love the taste of the original Ham and Bean Soup like the one that I have here, buuuuuuut…if you know me AT ALL, you know that I am the type of person who takes a spin on the original.
Welcome to this Cajun Ham and Sausage Bean Soup. That’s right my friends, two meats grace this bad boy! I like my soups and stews full of all the good stuff so I figured why not add a few of my favorite meats and not just keep it at one? Good thinking huh?!?!
So what makes it “cajun” you may ask? Well besides adding the sausage we also add a little of the all delicious Tony Chacere’s creole seasoning to give it a little kick!! Technically you can buy the cajun 15 bean soup and use there seasoning, but what fun would that be? So just buy the original for this recipe.
Thick and creamy and delicious, this recipe has just the hint of spice which I love. I love to have that little burn at the end of each bite to keep my taste buds perked up and asking for more! Oh and this recipe is pretty much fix it and forget it, and we can all agree that those are THE BEST!!!
So if you’re looking to giving your original ham and bean soup a little twist this Cajun Ham and Sausage Bean Soup is a fun, tasty option that you can make the next time you have a hankering for some comfort!
Cajun Ham and Sausage Bean Soup
- 1 16 oz pkg 15 bean soup
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 8-9 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone + 1 cup diced ham
- 1 Tbs Cajun seasoning like Tony Chachere's
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 16 oz link sausage (smoked, polish, andouille), sliced
- Soak your beans in bowl of water overnight.
- In large stock pot saute your onion and pepper in oil until tender.
- Add in your water, ham bone, ham and beans and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 5 minutes then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in your cajun seasoning, italian seasoning, bay leaves, tomato sauce and green chiles.
- Let simmer uncovered for about 3-3 1/2 hours, at that time, add your sliced sausage.
- Heat for about another 30 minutes and remove your ham bone making sure to get all the meat off of the bone as well as removing your bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!