Full of tater tots, bacon, cheese and sausage this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a hearty breakfast dish that feeds a crowd and is 100% delicious.
When it comes to breakfast, I’m more of the hearty breakfast person. I love anything eggs, cheese and meat and this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is FULL of all of that.
With a full pound of sausage and half pound of bacon there is no shortage on meat in this puppy. Add some diced onions, all the cheese and some eggs and you have yourself the makings of the best breakfast or bunch dish around.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BAKE A BREAKFAST CASSEROLE?
Like any other casserole it take about 1 hour or a few minutes longer to fully bake a breakfast casserole. You need time to bake the potato portion and have time to get the eggs to set before it’s ready to serve. Also, it lets the cheese get gooey and melty and what better than a casserole loaded with stringy cheese!
DO YOU NEED TO USE TATER TOTS?
This question is a no, but why WOULDN’T you want to use tater tots? You can absolutely substitute out hash browns or even O’brien potatoes for the tater tots, but the tater tots are so amazing that they really add to this dish!
WHY IS IT CALLED A CASSEROLE?
It is called a casserole because back in the day was and still is known as a casserole dish. A casserole is pretty much anything thrown together and baked in a casserole dish that is cooked slowly in the oven.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN EGG BAKE AND A BREAKFAST CASSEROLE?
There is technically nothing different between the terms. A breakfast casserole can be anything even if it doesn’t have eggs in it where as an egg bake obviously does have eggs in it. It is more of less how people use the term, so one can be the other and the other can be the one if you catch my drift!
If you’re a fan of breakfast like we have (I’m more a fan of brinner) then you’ll also like this Overnight Raspberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake, Western Omelet Bake and these Overnight Breakfast Sausage Enchiladas.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 2 cups shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions diced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl add your tater tots and shredded cheese.
- In large skillet add your sausage and onion and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender, add to your tater tots.
- In same skillet fry your bacon until crispy, remove from pan to drain then crumble and add to your tater tot mixture and toss to combined.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- In large bowl whisk together milk, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the tater tots and bake in oven for 60 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with diced green onions if desired.