Rich, moist, chocolatey and delicious this Copycat Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake is an easy and tasty recipe that everyone falls in love with.
Have you ever been to Cracker Barrel? If not, I highly advise that you go out and find one. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants hands down. There food is really basic but you get so much for such a good price.
I’m particular to their meatloaf recipe which I think is to die for. I get that almost every time we go to Cracker Barrel. Add some dumpling, Mac and cheese and hash brown casserole and you have the fixings to a tasty dinner.
WHY IS IT CALLED COCA COLA CAKE?
Well long story short, Coke was trying to get their products into more sweet and not savory dishes so the owners of Cracker Barrel when it was first opened used the Coke as a cooking product and came up with this chocolate cake recipe.
This recipe was actually an accident at first. The company that they sent their recipe out to accidentally doubled the original Coke in the recipe and anded up with this. Which obviously was one of the best mistakes that they could of ever made.
WHAT KIND OF FROSTING IS USED?
This cake uses a poured chocolate frosting which is the same type used to make the delicious Texas Sheet Cake. It’s a mixture of butter, cocoa, milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. The butter, cocoa and milk are heated up on the stove then the powdered sugar and vanilla are whisked in and poured over the warm cake.
My secret to this Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake is to poke holes all over the top of the cake when it get’s out of the oven. If you’ve ever had the original Coca Cola Cake recipe then you know that that cake is super super moist like its cake mixed with frosting essentially.
So what I like to do is take it out of the oven and either using a small wooden dowel or a fork I poke holes all over the top of the cake before I pour the frosting onto it. That way the frosting seeps down into the cake and keeps it even more moist and delicious.
WHAT MAKES THIS CAKE SO GOOD?
That is the burning question. There are so many components that make this cake amazing.
1. It’s double chocolate, I mean who doesn’t absolutely love chocolate with chocolate.
2. It’s a simple cake recipe. No weird ingredients here, mainly pantry staples.
3. It’s moist and fudgy and you get serious flavor in each and every single bite.
So if you want a chocolate cake that will wow your guests then this Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake is what you need! Quick, easy and flavorful and you just might not even want to share!
If you love this recipe you might also love these copycat recipes: Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup, Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites and Cheesecake Factory Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake.
Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake
- 1 cup Coca Cola regular
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs cocoa powder
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- 6 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together sugar, flour, salt and baking soda, set aside.
- In saucepan over medium heat whisk together your Coca Cola, oil, butter and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth and bring to a boil, pour oven flour/sugar mixture.
- Beat with hand mixer until combined.
- Add in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and beat again until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-30 minutes until center is set.
- Remove from oven and poke holes all over the top of cake with small wooden dowel or with a fork.
- To make frosting in sauce pan melt together butter, cocoa powder and milk. Bring to a gently boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over warm cake and gently press down into holes.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes to give frosting time to set up.