This Chicken Spinach Tomato Pasta is a healthy pasta recipe that’s easy to make and is ready in about 45 minutes from prepping to the ingredients to finish.
Hi y’all! It’s Susanne from New South Charm back again this month with another great recipe your family is going to love! This month I’m sharing an easy, family friendly, healthy recipe that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Back at the first of the year my husband and I committed to making better choices in our eating habits. For two people who have a deep and abiding love for tacos this commitment hasn’t aways been an easy one. But I’m proud to say we’re doing it and making it work for us.
One of the ways we are making this new way of eating work for us is making changes to recipes we love like this Loaded Taco Salad. This Chicken Spinach Tomato Pasta is one of those recipes.
Now when you think pasta you probably think heavy sauces and lots of starchy carbs but this recipe is light and made with whole wheat pasta. Plus, lots of great flavors from sun-dried tomatoes and fresh spinach. Trust me this is a pasta dish you’ll make again and again!
I do have a couple of tips to help with the preparation of this recipe. The first is to buy a bag of baby spinach. This will save you time because you won’t have to separate the stems. You can just measure out the spinach and than rinse it clean then pat it dry. Of course you could use frozen spinach. If choose to do that be sure to squeeze out and excess water once it is thawed.
My second tip is to start boiling the water while you are prepping the other ingredients. Then when you place the chicken in the skillet the water should be ready for you to add the pasta.
This recipe pairs perfectly with my recipe for Oven Roasted Green Beans or my Easy Homemade Caesar Dressing on a green salad.
I’ll be back next month with another great recipe to help you get dinner on the table for your family!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Chicken Spinach Tomato Pasta
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 6 oz whole wheat spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons oil from the jar of sun dried tomatoes
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- In a large skillet heat the three tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat until warm then add onion and sun dried tomatoes to the skillet and cook until onions are tender and translucent.
- Add chopped chicken to the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes cook until no longer pink and cooked through, about five minutes
- Next, turn the heat to low add the garlic, diced tomatoes, basil, spinach and Italian seasoning to the chicken mixture. Stir until well combined and spinach is wilted then taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- When pasta is done to al dente strain and then add pasta to skillet and toss
- Remove from heat and add more olive oil from the jar if desired
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.Nutrition Disclaimer