So first off I apologize if this post is short and sweet. I have a lovely 2-year-old daughter who has a double ear infection and we just surpassed night 3 with no sleep. I feel so bad for my poor baby girl. I have her on antibiotics and have tried the old wives methods but nothing is working. So I’m going to go try to pick up some of those pain relieving ear drops today. Wish me luck people! This mama and her little nugget need some rest. With the kids off from school for MEA and daycare kids here it’s going to be a long day.
So this recipe comes from my late grandma Toots. She sadly passed away this past March. I’m sure we all have those old family recipes that have been passed down from our grandmas. This one was my favorite that she made. Her mother was German, and spoke German on top of that. So obviously something “German” had to have been passed down. This stuff is so great! If you have never had Hot German Potato Salad before you are truly missing out! It has a sauce of vinegar, sugar, celery seed as the main components. Which makes this such a bold dish and nowhere near your traditional potato salad.
So like I said in keeping this short and sweet. Next time you’re looking for a potato dish to go with your dinner, supper, potluck of what have you. Try the unconventional and make this baby! Who knows, you may never go back to the regular potato salad again! 😉
Hot German Potato Salad
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 Tbs flour
- 4 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Peel your potatoes and add to pot and boil until tender.
- Once tender drain and let cool, once cool slice in half lengthwise then into 1/4" slices.
- Meanwhile in large saute pan fry your bacon. Remove from pan to drain and crumble.
- In bacon grease fry your onion until tender. Reduce heat to low.
- Add bacon and potatoes to saute pan.
- In medium sauce pan combine your sauce ingredients. Cook on medium-high until it starts to boil and thicken.
- Once sauce has thickened pour over the potatoes in pan and toss gently to coat.
- Turn heat to medium and slightly fry your potatoes until they are heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!