Who can resist The Best Apple Pie? Decorated with fun fall leaves this is definitely a show stopping pie, perfect way to use up those delicious apples!
*This post may contain Amazon Affiliate links*
So I do you randomly browse Amazon for stuff? That’s me nightly. I never usually find anything in particular and kinds just see what Amazon has recommended for me based on my browsing history to see if there’s anything that peaks my interest.
Well since it’s fall and usually I purchase cookbooks and baking gear from them these fun leaf cookie cutters popped up! Um, hello yes, get in my cart now and take my money. Obviously I don’t do a whole bunch of cookies for my site BUT I knew it would be perfect for a pie!
Guys….introducing The Best Apple Pie! I know what a creative name right? But seriously, how do you set a pie apart from all the other apple pies out there? There are so many people saying that theirs is the best. I’m sure they are, BUT do they have leaves as the top crust? I think not!
So in all fairness I had to call this The Best Apple Pie for 2 reasons. 1. It’s delicious and 2. Look at It! Who wouldn’t want this pie at their table? It’s just so pretty. I think it’s honestly one of the prettiest desserts on my site hands down! And I do A LOT of cakes.
This pie is perfect for fall and thanksgiving or whatever you may be celebrating this time of year. Apples are in season so this is something you just know you have to make!
So the set of cookie cutters I bought has 3 different cutters in it. A maple leaf, an oak leaf and an acorn. I didn’t think the acorn would really fit so I didn’t add it to thus unfortunately. But I had so much fun with this. The most difficult part was drawing the veins on the leaves, which in reality wasn’t difficult at all!
The filling is a simple and delicious apple pie filling consisting of apples, lemon juice, flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. Easy right? Oh and it uses store-bought pie crust. Yeah sometimes you just don’t want to make everything homemade and this just happened to be one of those days.
I found that using one crust minus the scraps was sufficient to cover the top of this beauty! I then brushed it with an egg wash and sprinkled it with some coarse decorators sugar! I love that extra sweetness that the sugar added to each and every bite.
But it was seriously so hard to cut into, I didn’t want to ruin it! Ever have those moments? I’m really sentimental with desserts when I love how they turn out. It takes all of me to just muster up the ability to cut in. Then I eat them and question why I was so hesitant in the first place! So if you’re looking for a delicious fall themed dessert that will get people talking than The Best Apple Pie is exactly that. Pretty, flavorful and easy. 3 of the best things to be!!
The Best Apple Pie
- 2 premade refrigerated pie crust or your own homemade
- 6-7 apples cored, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs butter sliced
- 1 egg whisked
- Decorators sugar coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In pie plate add one of your pie crusts and place into pan and trim any excess from the sides, place in refrigerator.
- Roll out your other crust gently and cut out your leaf shapes using cookie cutters if desired, using a toothpick drawn veins in each of the leaves pressing down gently just to indent them.
- In a large bowl combine your apples and lemon juice and stir.
- Add in your sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour and toss to coat.
- Pour into your prepared pie crust.
- Add your butter on top of your filling.
- Place your leaf pieces on top of pie filling in any pattern you desire, making sure to leave some openings for pie to vent.
- Brush your whisked egg over the top of your leaves and sprinkle with decorators sugar.
- Bake for about 50 minutes using crust covers if necessary until golden.
- Remove from oven and serve!