When it comes to easy and kid-friendly treats these Marshmallow Popcorn Balls are one of our all time favorites with only 5 ingredients needed!
So I grew up with my mom always making marshmallow popcorn. Like we would never have normal popcorn she would always make a marshmallow version.
Now I’m not one to complain so I gladly ate it almost every weekend because it was just a fun snack to munch on and enjoy, especially as a kid.
I mean who doesn’t like popcorn in the first place? Add a little bit of marshmallow to the mix and you have yourself something wonderful.
So I’m more into portion control these days, you could definitely eat these popcorn balls as just straight up marshmallow popcorn but I kinda like to have more of the “single” serving frame of mind
These marshmallow popcorn balls are literally super easy and the kids just go crazy for them!
WHAT INGREDIENTS TO DO YOU NEED?
Woohoo, I mean sweets that are quick are my favorite kind! Amiright? I think I am. Sometimes I have the patience to wait a little bit for something sweet but when I can have it almost instantly then I’m even better.
Lately I’ve been going crazy for this popcorn ball recipe. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve been craving sweet and salty all the time. I mean it is the best combination after all.
Some other sweet and salty combos I like are:
- Homemade Skor Bars
- Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars
- Salted Caramel Butter Bars
- Ruffles Marshmallow Treats
It must just be an addiction because now that I think about it, almost all my favorite desserts consist of a sweet and salty component. But like I said I’m not one to complain.
This popcorn ball recipe is one that we make in my house pretty much for all the things. Birthday, get togethers, holidays, etc. It’s one of those treats that are good to give.
Place them atop some cupcake lines and wrap them up in some little goodie bags and you have yourself one fun treat.
HOW TO MAKE POPCORN BALLS:
- Pop popcorn and place in large bowl, try to remove all the unpopped seeds and set aside.
- In large sauce pan melt your butter, once melted stir in your marshmallows and stir until they are melted and smooth then stir in your vanilla.
- Pour over your popcorn and toss to coat making sure you get all the kernels coated.
- Let cool slightly and then spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray and grab enough popcorn to make about baseball to softball sized balls and gently press together.
- Place in cupcake liners and sprinkle immediately with sprinkles.
You have yourself the perfect treat in less than 20 minutes for real!! These are just seriously so fun and one of the recipes that I love making and I cant believe it has slipped my mind to share it with you guys yet!
So if you want that one treat that kids and adults will go crazy for then you need to make these Popcorn Balls STAT!
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
- 8-9 cups unflavored popcorn (2 standard bags) popped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 10 oz bag mini or regular sized marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sprinkles optional
- Pop your popcorn according to package directions, try to discard as many unpopped kernels as you can and place in large bowl, set aside.
- In a large pot melt your butter then add your marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth then add in vanilla and stir.
- Pour mixture over popcorn and toss to coat trying to get all kernels.
- Let cool slightly and then grab enough popcorn to create baseball or softball sized balls and gently press together and place into cupcake liners if desired.
- Immediately sprinkle with sprinkles.
Tornadough Alli is not a nutritionist or dietitian, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and nutritional value is important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and values can vary depending on which brands were used.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Just made 2 batches of these with my grandchildren. A big hit and definitely will be using this recipe again! Thank you.
Im a little confused on the anount of popcorn needed. You say 8-9 cups (you mention bags) howere you say pop popcorn. So is it 8-9 cups “popped” popcorn or 8-9 cups popcorn kernels? Then pop them which im not sure how many cups that equals….quite a bit im sure. Also do these stick together well? Most recipes call for light corn syrup. Do the marshmallows allow the popcorn to stick? I can’t wait to make these with my granddaughters this Christmas. Thank you
Sorry for the confusion it is 8-9 cups already popped popcorn. They stay together really well and this is how we have always made them 🙂 We put that you can get this many cups from about 2 standard bags of popcorn after it’s been microwaved.
Can I use microwave popcorn?
This is what we use an ours so yes microwave popcorn is just fine.
Do these need to be served immediately or can you make ahead of time…say the day before? Thank you!
I believe as long as they are wrapped up in plastic wrap they should be fine.
Juli Cady Ryan
I’m popping my own popcorn, so how many ounces in each bag? Thanks!
I believe the standard bag of popcorn is around 3.5-4 oz.
What brand of popcorn do you recommend?
Any brand will work but usually we use Pop-Secret!
Doesn’t say if it should be lite butter popcorn or unflavored?
It’s personal preference. I would suggest using unbuttered or lite if you want some sweet and salty.