Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast lover? Then you'll fall in love with this cheesy, meaty and hearty Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole! A delicious morning recipe to fill you up!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 1 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 2 cups shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions diced
Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In large bowl add your tater tots and shredded cheese.
In large skillet add your sausage and onion and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender, drain then add to your tater tots.
In same skillet fry your bacon until crispy, remove from pan to drain then crumble and add to your tater tot mixture and toss to combined.
Spread into prepared baking dish.
In large bowl whisk together milk, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper.
Pour egg mixture over the tater tots and bake in oven for 60 minutes or until eggs are set.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with diced green onions if desired.
- Use frozen tater tots for this recipe. I have not tried with thawed tater tots so I do not know the outcome, or if it would become overly soggy.
- Drain the fat off of your sausage and onion mixture before adding it to your tater tots, this reduces sogginess and unnecessary grease in your recipe.
- Use whatever cheese you like, we personally like Colby Monterey Jack cheese but cheddar works well as well, and we regularly use that when we don't have the other version on hand.
- Sprinkle with green onions, not only does this add a little bit of color to the dish, it gives it a nice flavor punch as well, we are huge believers in adding green onions to many things.
- I would not recommend making this the night before as the tater tots should remain frozen while baking.
- If you love cheese, sprinkle some more cheese over the top when there is about 10 minutes left of baking.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 802mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 301mg | Iron: 1.5mg