Bourbon Bacon Jam
If you love untraditional spreads then you need to whip up this deliciously easy Bourbon Bacon Jam. Sweet, spicy and absolutely delicious.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 pound bacon reserve bacon grease
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coffee brewed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped
- Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425.
Place cooling racks on a rimmed baking sheet and layer bacon over top.
Cook bacon for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
Remove from oven and set aside to cool, once cool crumble.
Taking about 1-2 Tbs of the bacon grease add to large pot.
Cook onions in bacon grease until tender.
Add in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Add crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients and heat on medium-low until the liquid has reduced some and thickened about 1-2 hours.
At this point you can add your bacon mix to a food processor to break it down to smaller chunks or you can leave it chunkier.
Place into 2 1/2 pint jars or 4 4 oz jars, seal and refrigerate!
- You can use thick or regular cut bacon for this, we have used both.
- We prefer sweet onions as referenced above.
- You can use any bourbon brand that you like, we usually use Jim Beam as it is our favorite.
- If you want to cut down the heat on this omit the chipotle pepper, it isn't essential but adds amazing flavor to this recipe.
- Make sure you cook low and slow, this makes sure that everything cooks together nicely and breaks down.
- Use pure maple syrup and not the fake bottled kind.
- If you want a richer flavor use dark brown sugar instead of light brown.
Calories: 1293kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 90g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 1617mg | Potassium: 826mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 1.6mg