This Smoked Kielbasa starts on the smoker for an hour and is bursting with flavor before it gets slathered in BBQ sauce and charred on the grill. The perfect dinnertime or appetizer for all your summer gatherings.
Servings: 2 servings
- 14 ounce kielbasa
- ½ cup sweet bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat your smoker to the smoke setting and place the kielbasa directly on the smoker rack.
Smoke for 1 hour.
Increase the temperature to 300°F, and continue to cook for 30-40 minutes. The kielbasa should start to become brown and will split at some parts, but don't let it turn black.
Next, preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium heat.
While the grill is preheating, remove the kielbasa from the smoker and cut it into 3-4 inch pieces, and put them in a bowl.
In a small bowl stir together the bbq sauce and water and pour it over the cut sausage. Toss the sausage in the sauce so it is fully coated.
Once the grill is hot, place the pieces onto the grill and turn them often as they cook, so they don’t burn.
Baste the cut pieces with the remaining sauce and keep cooking until they reach your desired char. We like to get a good dark char on ours, so it can take up to 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy immediately.
- To kick up the heat and add a little spice, I suggest adding ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, or red pepper flakes to the BBQ sauce mixing step.
- We add water to the BBQ sauce to make it easier to coat the sausage pieces. If your bbq sauce is not thick, then you don’t need to add the water.
- Always check to see if your kielbasa was precooked or not. It never hurts to check the internal temp of your meat before consuming. Typically, sausage needs to be 145F-175F, we highly recommend using a kitchen thermometer.
- Don't open the smoker too often or it will have trouble keeping temp and flavor.
- You can easily double this recipe.
- Use any of your favorite BBQ sauce, we like sweet.
- This can be frozen, see above on how to do that.
Calories: 770kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 2475mg | Potassium: 636mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 3mg