Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
With an easy and delicious homemade filling this Coconut Cream Pie Recipe is super simple, tasty and the perfect pie recipe to add to your dessert table!
Servings: 8 slices
- 9 " refrigerated pie crust or homemade
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbs sugar
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream cold
- 2 Tbs powdered or granulated sugar
- 1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla
- Toasted coconut optional
Bake your pie crust according to package directions and set aside to cool.
In large sauce pan add your milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg and egg yolk.
Continuously whisk over medium high heat until thick and bubbly.
Remove from heat and whisk in butter, coconut extract and vanilla extract until butter is melted.
Add in your shredded coconut and whisk again until combined.
Spread into your cooled pie crust and cover with Saran Wrap making sure the Saran Wrap touches the filling.
Place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set up.
To make you whipped cream:
In bowl add your heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla and beat until semi stiff peaks form.
Spread over top of cooled pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.
- The filling will thicken, but do not heat on high heat or it will coagulate the eggs, medium to medium high works best, it can take up to 10 minutes to thicken fully.
- Continuously whisk while making the filling, this prevents it from burning to the bottom.
- If you want more or less coconut flavor add more or less extract in the recipe.
- To switch it up you can toast your coconut first and then add it to the filling instead of regular coconut.
- You can let this cool in pan before spreading into pie crust, we just like to chill it all together so it's ready to go.
Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 686IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 1mg