Honey Walnut Shrimp
With easy and minimal ingredients this Honey Walnut Shrimp is a delicious copycat recipe that whips up in no time. Sweet, savory and absolutely delicious.
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup glazed walnuts
- Thinly sliced green onions for garnish optional
Place the shrimp in a gallon-sized plastic bag. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cornstarch to the bag.
Close the bag and shake it so the shrimp are coated in the cornstarch and seasonings, set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk, honey, and lemon juice until smooth, set aside.
Add about ½ inch of vegetable oil to a large skillet with deep sides over medium heat. Test the oil with one of the shrimp if it starts to bubble lightly at the edges it is hot enough. In batches, not touching, fry the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are cooked through, curled, and opaque. They will not get a lot of color on them from frying since we are using cornstarch. Drain them on a paper-towel-lined plate while you fry the additional shrimp.
Add the shrimp and walnuts to a large bowl, pour the sauce on top.
Toss everything together until combined. Serve with a garnish of green onions.
- We like to use medium shrimp for this recipe, you can use larger or smaller for your preference.
- If you can't find Japanese mayo, regular mayo can be substituted but the flavor will not be the same.
- You can easily find glazed walnuts at your local grocer.
- Double this recipe to serve more people.
- Looking for a more breaded shrimp, you can dip them in tempura batter and deep fry them before tossing them in the sauce.
- If you are a sauce lover then I suggest doubling the sauce recipe.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 293mg | Sodium: 1331mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 23IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 3mg