Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
If you want a fix it and forget it meal with a little kick then you have to whip up this Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken, tasty, easy and absolutely delicious.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Cooked jasmine rice or naan bread for serving
Place the cubed chicken into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Spread the diced onion and garlic.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, tomato sauce, curry, sugar, garam masala, turmeric, salt, pepper and ginger until well combined. Set aside.
Pour your mixed sauce over the chicken and onions.
Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. (High heat cook time is 2-3 hours).
Once the butter chicken has finished cooking, stir in the yogurt or cream and mix well. Adjust
salt and pepper to taste and serve over jasmine rice or with a side of warm naan bread. Top
with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Nutritional value is calculated without the rice or naan bread.
- We used a 6qt slow cooker for this recipe.
- You can easily double this to feed a larger crowd for dinner parties, it still should all fit in the same size slow cooker.
- You can leave the lid off for the last 30 minutes of cooking time to get a thicker sauce if you'd like.
- This can be frozen, see my storage tips above.
- We use jasmine rice to serve with this but you can serve it with any rice that you like.
- You can top with parsley or cilantro, we like both.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 1296mg | Potassium: 1205mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 379IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2mg