Chicken Fajita Pasta
This comforting Chicken Fajita Pasta dish is full of all the goodness and whips up quickly! The perfect family weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 white onion sliced into strips
- 1 lb medium shell pasta
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce I usually use no salt added
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 Tbs chili powder or fajita spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish
Add the ground chicken to a large pot and cook through over medium-high heat, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a large bowl and set aside. Discard any chicken grease.
Add olive oil and sliced vegetables into the pot and saute for 5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the same bowl as the chicken.
Add the pasta and water to the pot and boil for 10 to 15 minutes until *most* of the water has absorbed, stirring regularly.
Add in the tomato sauce, cheese, sour cream, lime juice, and spices and stir until combined and cheese has melted.
Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
- You can make this with cubed chicken or steak or ground beef and if you're feeling adventurous chorizo would be good.
- I like to divide the chili powder/fajita mix and add some to the chicken while it sears to give it some flavor other than in the sauce.
- Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream.
- You can add a jalapeno pepper in with the vegetables for more heat. The dish has a bit of a flavor kick but I wouldn’t call it “hot”.
- Lime juice is a MUST. I’ve made it with and without and the flavors pop so much more with it.
- You want some water to be leftover and you DO NOT drain it, it’s what helps make the creamy sauce.
Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 944mg | Potassium: 876mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1619IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 308mg | Iron: 3mg