If you want a refreshing Mexican drink that is full of flavor and minimal ingredients then you have to whip up this Horchata Recipe, you won't be disappointed.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 5 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk* see notes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place the rice, water, and cinnamon sticks into a blender. Blend on medium speed for one minute, to make sure the rice and cinnamon sticks are well blended.
Place into a pitcher or leave in the body of the blender and place in the fridge to steep for 8 hours, or up to overnight.
Using a fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth, strain the mixture into a large pitcher.
Stir in the heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Make sure it is well combined, stir well. Serve chilled or over ice.
- Make sure you have a higher powdered blender, this will break down the ingredients well so the flavors really shine through
- Cheesecloth is our favorite thing to strain this through since it doesn't let any of the remnants in, but you can also use a fine mesh strainer.
- This recipe makes a subtly sweet horchata, for more sweetness add a full 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk.*
- Top with cinnamon, it really is something that will add that additional cinnamon flavor.
- Make sure that everything is stirred together very well so that the flavors marry.
- This needs to refrigerate at least 8 hours but preferably overnight to steep the flavors.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 59mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 651IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 1mg