Creamy, delicious and perfect for the holidays this Homemade Eggnog is better than the store bought version and one that you will want to keep making every single year.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until they become light in color. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until light, fluffy and smooth.
Combine the milk and cream in medium size saucepan and heat on medium until it just begins to steam
Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg yolks. Whisk until frothy, then stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add the mixture back to the pot and heat on medium heat until simmering and thickened. It should coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow to boil.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Place a strainer over your bowl and carefully pour the mixture through the strainer.
Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Garnish with fresh nutmeg, cinnamon, or candy canes.
- Make sure your mixture reaches at least 160 degrees F. But do not boil.
- Use personal preference on which type of alcohol if any you'd want to use in this recipe as a mixer
- Make sure that your mixture coats the back of a spoon, otherwise you will not get the traditional eggnog texture.
- Make sure you strain this mixture well, this will eliminate any eggs that might have accidentally been cooked in the process.
Calories: 604kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 427mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 257mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 1899IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 1mg